General Studies

Students who haven't declared a major or haven't decided which major to pursue are considered general studies students. General studies students usually take courses required for the university core curriculum. Many of these courses are the same for all majors and allow you to make progress toward completing degree requirements, while at the same time exploring subject areas that may help you choose a major or career. General studies students work with advisors in the Academic Advising Center who encourage exploring, selecting and eventually committing to an appropriate major. All degree-seeking students eventually must declare a major--there's no degree program associated with general studies. To declare a major, simply complete a change of major form available from the Registrar's Office or online at the registrar website. Regardless of when you submit the form, your new major becomes effective the beginning of the upcoming fall or spring semester.

The dean and associate dean of enrollment management oversee academic assistance and actions concerning general studies students. For more information about general studies, contact the Academic Advising Center, (907) 474-7500 or (888) 823-8780; Enrollment Management Dean's Office, (907) 474-6533; Office of Admissions, (907) 474-7500 or (800) 478-1823; or contact enrollment management offices online at