2003-2004 UAF Catalog


Applying for Admission

Course Placement
English and Mathematics

On the basis of test scores, you may be required to take developmental English and/or mathematics. These courses are designed to help you achieve competency necessary to succeed in college-level courses. Generally, you will be placed in ENGL 111X if your enhanced ACT (EACT) English score is 17 (or SAT Verbal score is 440) or above.

Mathematics course placement will vary according to the type of degree you are planning to pursue and the corresponding math course(s) needed (see the requirements for your degree program for more detail). Enhanced ACT (EACT), SAT, COMPASS or ASSET test scores and your previous mathematical background are used to determine your math placement. Minimum test scores for placement into math courses are listed below:

MATH 200X, 205, 262X OR 272X:
EACT-26 / SAT-600
COMPASS (College Algebra - 56; with a Trigonometry score of 41 needed)

MATH 107X, 108*, 161X:
EACT-23 (*26 for 108) / SAT-540 (*600)
(EACT math subscores should both be 13 or higher)
COMPASS (Algebra-76 or College Algebra-50)
ASSET (College Algebra-23 for 107X, 41 for 108X)

MATH 131X:
EACT-22 (subscores 13 or better) / SAT- 520
COMPASS (College Algebra-31)
ASSET (Intermediate Algebra-41 or College Algebra-41)

DEVM 105:
EACT-20 (with subscores of 12-13),/SAT-480
COMPASS (Algebra - 50 or College Algebra - 31)
ASSET (Intermediate Algebra - 23 or Elementary Algebra - 41)

DEVM 060:

EACT-16 (with subscores of 8-11)/ SAT-390
COMPASS (Pre-Algebra - 54 or Algebra - 26)
ASSET (Elementary Algebra - 23 or Numerical Skills - 41)

For scores below the values given here, please consult with Developmental Math Department.

It is best to consult with your advisor or faculty in the English or math department(s) if you have questions regarding the appropriate course placement.

Foreign Language

You may enroll in the level of a language at which you are competent, based on your prior experience. There is no foreign language placement test. If there are any questions about the appropriate level, you should contact the Foreign Languages Department.