2003-2004 UAF Catalog

Student Services

Student Services and Resources

Veterans' Services

The Veterans' Services Office assists veterans, service members and eligible dependents with paperwork for degree and certificate programs. As a liaison with the Department of Veterans Affairs, the office monitors the academic progress of veterans, in compliance with Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations.

The Veterans' Office advises and monitors the educational progress and status of Chapters 30 (New Montgomery GI Bill), 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), 32 (VEAP), 35 (Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program) and 1606 (selected reserve). If you are qualified and wish to use your VA educational benefits under Chapters 30, 32, 35 and 1606, you must be admitted to a state-approved degree or certificate program. If you are qualified and wish to use Chapter 31 (vocational rehabilitation) benefits, you must meet with the local DVA vocational rehabilitation counselor, who will review, recommend and authorize use of your benefits and forward your paperwork to the UAF Veterans' Services office. If you are unsure whether you have a GI bill entitlement, you should contact the VA in Muskogee, Oklahoma at (888) GI-BILL-1 [(888)-442-4551]. Questions about establishing disability or using Chapter 31 benefits, or general veterans' information not associated with education, should be directed to the local Veterans' Center, 540 Fourth Avenue, Suite 100, Fairbanks, Alaska 99701, or call (907) 456-4238.

Because the Department of Veterans' Affairs processes benefit payments as a form of reimbursement, you should initiate your VA paperwork 60-90 days prior to your school start date. The Department of Veterans' Affairs offers an advance pay program available through the UAF Veterans' Services office. To determine if you qualify, stop by the Veterans' Services office, 113 Signers' Hall, call the Office of the Registrar, (907) 474-6300, or e-mail fyregis@uaf.edu.