2003-2004 UAF Catalog
The research programs at UAF take advantage of the university's unique location in the subarctic of interior Alaska, with easy access to the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, glaciers and permafrost areas.
In addition to research carried out in its academic departments, the university has a number of research centers that focus upon problems of the Arctic. These include the environmental impact of human activities, the development of renewable and non-renewable resources, energy sources and the cultural understanding and preservation of peoples of the North.
Assistantships are available for graduate students working on research with faculty in many of these research institutes and centers. Each of the researchers has a joint appointment with an academic department. Contact the academic departments for information on specific faculty research projects and the availability of research assistantships.
- Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station
- Alaska Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
- Alaska Native Language Center
- Alaska Quaternary Center
- Alaska Sea Grant College Program
- Arctic Biology, Institute of
- Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
- Cross-Cultural Studies, Center for
- Fishery Industrial Technology Center
- Geophysical Institute
- Global Change and Arctic System Research, Center for
- International Arctic Research Center
- Juneau Center for Fisheries and Ocean Sciences
- Marine Science, Institute of
- Mineral Industry Research Laboratory
- Museum, University of Alaska
- Northern Engineering, Institute of
- Petroleum Development Laboratory
- University of Alaska Press