2002-2003 UAF Catalog


Academic Regulations

Academic Honors

To be eligible for academic honors at the end of a semester, you must be a full-time undergraduate degree or certificate student who has completed at least 12 UAF credits that are graded with the letter grades A, B, C, D or F. If you have received an Incomplete or Deferred grade, your academic honors cannot be determined until those grades have been changed to permanent grades. The academic honors are recorded on your permanent record. You will make the Chancellor's List with a semester GPA of 4.0. A GPA of 3.5 or higher earns you a place on the Dean's List.

Academic Progress

Instructors are responsible for making sure that you're aware of the grading policy for their course and that homework, exams, etc., are returned in a timely manner so that you know how you're doing in class. Freshman low grade reports are optional for each campus of UAF. When used, as they are on the Fairbanks campus, they are required for all freshmen with a D, F, or I (incomplete) grade in one or more classes.

Academic Standards

UAF's scholastic standards are designed so you can take action before your academic record deteriorates to the point that readmission to UAF or to another college or university becomes a problem. In all cases involving poor scholarship, you're encouraged to consult with your advisor, instructor or dean.

If you're an undergraduate or certificate student, or a non-degree student enrolled in 12 or more credits, and you fail to earn a GPA of 2.0, you will be subject to scholastic action at the end of the semester. Depending on your circumstances, scholastic action may result in your being on probation or disqualified from the university.


You will be put on academic probation if your cumulative and/or semester grade point average falls below 2.0. Probation may include conditions and/or credit limitations that you're expected to fulfill during your next enrollment at UAF, as determined by the dean of the college or school in which your major is located. As a probation student, you may be referred for developmental advising/education and/or to a counseling center. In order to be removed from probation, your cumulative and semester GPAs must be at least 2.0.

Academic Disqualification

If your cumulative academic record indicates poor scholarship at the end of the spring semester, the dean of the college or school in which your major is located may recommend that you be disqualified from degree status. The dean will send you a letter outlining the disqualification, the reasons for the action and the conditions for readmission. As a disqualified student, you may continue your enrollment at UAF only as a non-degree student, limited to enrolling in nine credits per semester, until reinstated into your program. Normally, you will be expected to earn at least a C grade in all courses taken while in non-degree status to be eligible for reinstatement in your program. You must apply for readmission when you wish to be restored to degree seeking status.

Good Standing

You are in good standing if your cumulative GPA and most recent semester GPA are 2.0 or better.

Appeal of Academic Decisions

Students wanting to appeal an academic decision (i.e., final grade, denial of admissions, faculty-initiated withdrawals, dismissal) should begin an appeal immediately after the beginning of the next regular semester. To appeal academic decisions, you should first address the person who made the decision. Often problems can be resolved and misunderstandings cleared up through this step.

If the issue isn't resolved to your satisfaction, you should use the formal appeal procedure. Formal appeals must be made in writing. You can get advice and answers to questions about the process from the dean of student services. In your written statement, you should explain what you wish to appeal, why you are appealing it and how you attempted to resolve the issue so far. If possible, propose potential solutions and compromises.


You are expected to regularly attend classes; unexcused absences may result in a failing grade. You are responsible for conferring with your instructor concerning absences and the possibility of arranging to make up missed work.

If you choose to be absent from class to participate in university-sponsored or other activities, you may be permitted to make up any work you have missed, but you must make arrangements with your instructor before the absence. You and your instructor should make a good faith effort to assure that you are not unduly penalized for each absence. Such activities shouldn't be scheduled so that they conflict with the finals schedule.

Grade Error Policy

A grade, other than an incomplete or deferred, submitted by your instructor after a course is completed, is assumed to be your final grade and it becomes part of your permanent academic record. Your grade won't be changed unless your instructor made a legitimate error in calculating the grade; a grade change must be approved by the instructor's unit head and dean. Grading errors must be corrected within 30 class days after the beginning of the next regular semester.