2002-2003 UAF Catalog
Degrees and Programs
College of Rural Alaska
Tanana Valley Campus
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 63 credits
The process technology program prepares students to enter employment as operations technicians in the process industry.
The process industry includes oil and gas production, mining and milling, transportation and refining, chemical manufacturing, power generation, utilities, wastewater treatment facilities maintenance and food processing.
This A.A.S. degree program incorporates technical and academic courses. The courses cover topics from pumps and turbines to instrumentation, safety and quality control. A valuable part of the program comes from summer internships which allow students the opportunity to gain practical experience and exposure to the true nature of process technology careers.
The Alaska Process Industry Careers Consortium (APICC)/First Alaskans Foundation has scholarships available for Alaska Native students pursuing a degree in process technology. Scholarships are also available from industry.
Process Technology -- A.A.S. Degree
- Complete the following admissions requirements:
- Complete the ASSET/COMPASS placement at the DEVM 105 level or above.
- Complete the ASSET/COMPASS placement for reading at the DEVS 106 level or above.
- Students placing below the ASSET/COMPASS level requirements for math and reading must obtain the permission of a faculty advisor in the process technology program prior to registering for PRT courses.
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the A.A.S. degree requirements. (As part of the A.A.S. degree requirements, complete ENGL 111X; ENGL 212 or ENGL 213X; MATH 131X or MATH 107X; and a social sciences elective for three credits.)
- Complete CIOS 150, a computer business applications, or an approved computer application course.
- Complete the following program major requirements*:
PHYS 115X -- Physical Science I (4) and
PHYS 116X -- Physical Science II (4)
or PHYS 103X -- College Physics (4) and
CHEM 103X -- Basic General Chemistry (4) (8 credits)
PRT 101 -- Introduction to Process Technology (3 credits)
PRT 110 -- Introduction to Occupational Safety, Health, and Environmental Awareness (3 credits)
PRT 130 -- Process Technology I: Equipment (4 credits)
PRT 140 -- Industrial Process Instrumentation I (3 credits)
PRT 144 -- Industrial Process Instrumentation II (3 credits)
PRT 230 -- Process Technology II: Systems (4 credits)
PRT 231 -- Process Technology III: Operations (4 credits)
PRT 250 -- Process Technology Troubleshooting (3 credits)
PRT 255 -- Process Technology Quality (1 credit)
Applied technology electives** (9 credits)
- Minimum credits required: (63 credits)
* Student must earn a C grade or better in each course.
** Electives must be advisor-approved. Select from the following areas of concentration: industrial process instrumentation, electronics, maintenance technology, mining engineering and technology, petroleum engineering and technology, power generation, environmental technology, and industry internship.