2001-2002 UAF Catalog

UAF Expenses

Financial Aid

What is Financial Aid?

Financial aid can help pay for tuition and fees, books and supplies and living expenses. Financial aid provides choice, access and persistence. Choice means students can choose to pursue a college education without first looking at the price tag. Access means students will be able to pay costs of getting into college. Persistence means students will be able to stay in college long enough to complete their educational objectives.

Who Can Apply?

You can apply for financial aid if you're a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen and are admitted or plan to be admitted to the university. Although students holding a F-1 or J-1 visa are not eligible to apply for federal or state financial assistance, they may apply for UAF scholarships, fellowships and assistantships and some work programs. Clarifications about student eligibility based on citizenship and residency can be obtained at the Financial Aid Office.

Who Receives Financial Aid?

Most full-time UAF students receive some type of financial aid. Even though students enrolled part time can receive some type of financial aid, the major programs require full-time enrollment. Full-time enrollment for undergraduate students is 12 or more credits each semester; full time for graduate students is 9 or more credits each semester.

To receive any financial aid, you must:

  1. Be admitted by the Office of Admissions.
  2. Be enrolled in a program leading to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  3. Be making satisfactory academic progress toward your educational goal.
  4. Submit an application to the proper agency administering the financial aid programs.

Where is the Financial Aid Office located?

The Financial Aid Office is located on the first floor of the Eielson Building on the Fairbanks campus of the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The telephone number is (907) 474-7256 and the fax number is (907) 474-7065.

How do students apply?

Complete: Free Application for Federal Student Aid, Alaska Student Loan Application, UAF Scholarship applications, and Federal Loan Promissory Note. You may be required to submit other documents before aid is received. The forms needed to apply for federal, state and UAF financial aid programs are available at the Financial Aid Office at UAF.

Apply for: Throughout the school year you may apply for the federal Pell Grants, federal Supplemental Grants, federal loans, federal work study, Alaska student loan, various UAF scholarships, and federal loan disbursement.

How is eligibility determined?

Submitting a completed application, along with necessary documents, begins the process of determining who will get federal aid. An analysis of your ability to pay is compared with UAF's standard expense budget. If the amount of money available is less than total college expenses, you have a financial need and are eligible for aid.

Residence and physical presence in Alaska for at least one year immediately before applying establishes eligibility for the Alaska Student Loan program. Additional information on residency and eligibility requirements can be obtained from the Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education, P.O. Box 110505, Juneau, Alaska 99811, telephone (800) 441-2962.

What does it cost to attend UAF?

Estimated expense budgets for typical full-time undergraduate students for the school year:

Single student
living alone
off campus
Single student
living in UAF
residence hall
Tuition* $ 2,400 $ 2,400
Fees 930 930
Books, supplies 650 650
Housing 5,130 2,624
Food 2,070 2,100
Transportation 1,620 324
Misc./personal 2,160 2,606
TOTAL $ 14,960 $ 11,634
* Tuition for non-Alaska residents, add $4,620

Standard budgets do not always fit everyone. If you have unusual expenses such as medical bills, special child care or emergency items, the Financial Aid Office will try to provide methods of covering these additional expenses. Since eligibility is based on prior year income, you may request a review of your eligibility when your income changes from loss of job, divorce, death or disability.