Dissertation and Thesis Completion Fellowship
Master's Degree (one semester only) $7,500
Ph.D. Degree (up to two semesters) $15,000
Deadline: Friday, March 11, 2016
Awards will be announced in late April, 2016
The Graduate School is pleased to announce the 2016-2017 Dissertation and Thesis Completion Fellowships for full-time University of Alaska Fairbanks graduate students planning to graduate during the fall of 2016 or spring 2017. These highly competitive awards are intended to support UAF students without a source of funding to support thesis writing. Ph.D. students will receive preference in the selection process.
The fellowship provides a stipend during the academic year, beginning September 2016, plus tuition for 9 credits (enrolled at UAF) each semester. The stipend for masters students is $7,500 for one semester. Payments will be made at the rate of $1,875.00 per month for four months. The stipend for Ph.D. students is $15,000 for two semesters (eight months). Payments will be made in the amount of $1,875.00 per month for eight months.
This Fellowship is intended for UAF students who will have no other form of funding for this time period. Prior recipients of a Dissertation/Thesis Completion Fellowship are not eligible.
Evaluation of applications will be based on academic achievements, prior timely progress in graduate course-work and thesis or dissertation research, and a plan plus time-line for completion of the thesis or dissertation within the duration of the fellowship.
- Must be a University of Alaska Fairbanks graduate student
- The student must have been in good standing the preceding fall and spring semesters (see page 48 of the UAF catalog).
- The student will not receive a stipend or salary during the period that the student receives the Dissertation/Thesis Completion Fellowship.
- Approved Advancement to Candidacy and 2015 or 2016 Annual Report of Committee forms must be on file at the Graduate School Office by the date of the application. (NOTE: If your Advancement will not be on file by the March 11th deadline, you must address this in your detailed plan and timeline for completion.)
Send application form and supporting documents in ONE complete packet to:
Office of the Graduate School
202 Eielson Building
P.O. Box 757560
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7560
Or you can e-mail your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete packets or applications with items received piecemeal will not be considered.
- Nomination letter from committee chair - The letter must include the current status of the thesis project and a statement that certifies specifically when he/she expects the applicant to graduate, i.e. is it realistic for the student to graduate within the timeline provided?
- Detailed plan and completion timeline - The student must include a detailed plan and time-line for completion of the thesis or dissertation that have been approved by the advisor. For example, include dates of completion of data collection, data analysis, completion of chapter one, chapter two, to provide a generic idea of what needs to be done.
- A written statement (maximum two pages) - The statement must include information on the overall thesis or dissertation progress, future plan, and research achievements.
- A comprehensive list, by semester, of all sources of funding received since the student began his/her degree (i.e., research and/or teaching assistantships, fellowships, etc.) Do not list financial aid or scholarships.