UAF Dissertation and Thesis Completion Fellowship
Master's Degree (one semester only - not including summer) $7,500
Ph.D. Degree (up to two semesters - not including summer) $15,000
Deadline: Wednesday, March 15th, 2017
Awards will be announced in late April, 2017
The Graduate School is pleased to announce the 2017-2018 Dissertation and Thesis Completion Fellowships for full-time University of Alaska Fairbanks graduate students planning to graduate during the fall of 2017 or spring 2018. These highly competitive awards are intended to support UAF students without a source of funding to support thesis writing. Ph.D. students will receive preference in the selection process.
The fellowship provides a stipend and tuition payment as follows:
- Master's students are awarded a stipend of $7,500 for one semester. Payments will be made at the rate of $1,875.00 per month for four months, beginning in either September or January, depending on the the expected graduation date. Nine (9) credits of tuition (enrolled at UAF) are also paid for the awarded semester.
- Ph.D. students are awarded a stipend of $7,500 per semester for either one or both semesters (not including summer) as elected on the Thesis Completion Fellowship application. Payments will be made at the rate of $1,875.00 per month for either eight months beginning in September or four months, beginning in January, depending on the the expected graduation date. Nine (9) credits of tuition (enrolled at UAF) are also paid for the awarded semester(s).
This Fellowship is intended for UAF students who will have no other form of funding for this time period. Prior recipients of a Dissertation/Thesis Completion Fellowship are not eligible.
Evaluation of applications will be based on academic achievements, prior timely progress in graduate course-work and thesis or dissertation research, and a plan plus time-line for completion of the thesis or dissertation within the duration of the fellowship.
- Must be a University of Alaska Fairbanks graduate student
- The student must have been full-time and in good standing the preceding fall and spring semesters.
- The student will not receive a stipend or salary during the period that the student receives the Dissertation/Thesis Completion Fellowship.
- Approved Advancement to Candidacy and 2016 or 2017 Annual Report of Committee forms must be on file at the Graduate School Office by the date of the application. (NOTE: If your Advancement will not be on file by the March 15th deadline, you must address this in your detailed plan and timeline for completion.)
Send application form and supporting documents in ONE complete packet to:
Office of the Graduate School
202 Eielson Building
P.O. Box 757560
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7560
Or you can e-mail your documents to email@example.com
Incomplete packets or applications with items received piecemeal will not be considered.
- Nomination letter from committee chair - The letter must include the current status of the thesis project and a statement that certifies specifically when he/she expects the applicant to graduate, i.e. is it realistic for the student to graduate within the timeline provided?
- Detailed plan and completion timeline - The student must include a detailed plan and time-line for completion of the thesis or dissertation that have been approved by the advisor. For example, include dates of completion of data collection, data analysis, completion of chapter one, chapter two, to provide a generic idea of what needs to be done.
- A written statement (maximum two pages) - The statement must include information on the overall thesis or dissertation progress, future plan, and research achievements.
- A comprehensive list, by semester, of all sources of funding received since the student began his/her degree (i.e., research and/or teaching assistantships, fellowships, etc.) Do not list financial aid or scholarships.