Austin Cooley Talent Grant
Award Amount: $1,000
Deadline: February 15. Please see the application for the actual deadline each year, it is adjusted for years where February 15 falls on a weekend.
Date of Award: Fall & Spring
About the Austin Cooley Talent Grant:
Austin G. Cooley graduated from the University of Alaska Fairbanks in 1973 at the age of 73. He was born in 1900 in Seattle, Washington. A nephew of the noted Alaskan industrialist and entrepreneur Austin E. "Cap" Lathrop, Mr. Cooley is recognized as the father of the facsimile (fax) machine.
At the age of 16, Mr. Cooley installed the first radio station at Little Port Walter, Alaska. At the age of 22, Mr. Cooley began working on the facsimile machine, transmitting photographic images and printed materials by wire or radio, while a student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Mr. Cooley made history in 1935 with the first transmission of news photos for the New York Times. During WWII, the use of the facsimile aided U.S. military forces by transmitting accurate, current weather maps. Mr. Cooley held more than 75 U.S. and foreign patents in the fields of facsimile and navigation. Mr. Cooley died in 1993 at the age of 93.
The Austin Cooley Talent Grant is awarded each year to a graduate student who meets the following criteria:
- Full-time UAF graduate students (enrolled in at least nine credits)
- Currently in good academic standing
- Demonstrates motivation and academic and leadership potential
Note: Award recipient must be enrolled full-time (nine credits - no audits) while receiving the award.
How to apply for a scholarship: The application deadline for most scholarships is February 15 - please see the application for the actual deadline each year, it is adjusted for years where February 15 falls on a weekend.
- Log into UAOnline.
- Go into the Financial Aid area, then Scholarships.
- Fill out the General Profile in the the Scholarship section.
- In step four, select "UAF"
- At the bottom of the page, complete the Supplemental Scholarship Application. Scroll down until you find the Austin Cooley Talent Grant.
- If needed, the Graduate School may contact you for additional supporting documents.
For more information, contact the UAF Development Office (907) 474-6402, or the Graduate School at (907) 474-7464.