Pest Identification Services

What IS this thing?!

Curious about what's popping up in your yard or kitchen?

You can call your local UAF Extension office and fill out a plant or insect identification request form. An experienced agent will take a look at the physical specimen you bring in (inanimate and confined to a plastic baggie) and consult you as to what it is and what you can do about it.

Check out the Citizen Monitoring Portal (CMP): Volunteer citizen scientists are encouraged to submit requests and photos regarding insects, plants or diseases in their local areas.

Please also browse our online invasive plant profiles for photos and descriptions of common noxious weeds.


Please visit the Extension catalog for a full listing of all our pest-related publications.


Stephen Brown, Palmer 
Agriculture and Horticulture Agent
Phone: 907-745-3639
Janice Chumley, Kenai Peninsula
IPM Technician
Phone: 907-262-5824
Gino Graziano, Anchorage
Invasive Plants Instructor
Phone: 907-786-6315
Casey Matney, Kenai Peninsula
Agriculture and Horticulture Agent
Phone 907-262-5824
Jessie Moan, Anchorage
IPM Technician
Phone 907-786-6309
Julie Riley, Fairbanks
Horticulture Agent
Phone: 907-474-2423
Darren Snyder, Juneau
Agriculture and Horticulture Agent
Phone: 907-523-3280 x2
You can also Ask an Alaska expert.

Back to Top