Alaska Growers School: With a Focus on Risk Management
The Fall 2014 Alaska Growers School is now full, however you may sign up for the waitlist here.
Interested in participating in the Alaska Growers School in the future? Please complete this short survey and we will contact you regarding the next Alaska Growers School. This will also help us secure additional funding so that we can offer the Alaska Growers School.
Fall 2014 Alaska Growers School Course Description:
A total of 12 lessons will be offered by webinar and teleconference on Wednesday nights starting at 5:30 pm. The first class will be September 24th, 2014 and the final class will be December 17, 2014.
Whether you are dreaming of growing enough food for yourself and others, establishing a profitable farm, or already are an experienced farmer, the Alaska Growers School is here to provide the education you need to reach your goals, wherever you live in Alaska.
A desire and passion to grow food for subsistence or profit is an essential starting point. This class will provide the nuts and bolts of getting started in whole farm planning, growing vegetables, berries, & fruit, raising poultry, and livestock. In addition to providing the nuts and bolts of these topics, this class will also provide a special emphasis on financial, production, and marketing risk. Being able to understand and manage the risk of starting or expanding farms in Alaska is a valuable planning and decision making tool and will help you go into a new agriculture venture with your eyes wide open!
In the Fall 2014 Alaska Growers School, you will:
- Learn about important considerations when starting a subsistence garden, farm, or ranch.
- Learn about whole farm planning, marketing and financing.
- Establish your vision, goals, values, and strengths.
- Assess your resources, skills, and motivations for farming.
- Write a whole farm business plan and take action.
- Understand and learn how to manage the risks of starting or expanding a farm in remote Alaska.
- Learn about other training opportunities, technical assistance, and resources.
- Connect and learn with other growers from all over Alaska.
In addition to a variety of resources, Fearless Farm Finances will be used in the course. Students should purchase the manual here.
Please contact us for any questions about the Alaska Growers School!
This material is based upon work supported by USDA/NIFA under Award Number 2012-49200-20030.