www.uaf.edu/physics/Degrees: B.S., M.S.
Minimum Requirements for Degrees: B.S.: 130 credits; M.S.: 30 credits
The general science program provides a broad background in the natural sciences. The program allows specialization in at least two disciplines within the natural sciences as well as an additional area of associated interest. This degree offers more breadth in the natural sciences than other degree programs and may be classified as an interdisciplinary degree.
The general science department offers M.S. degrees in biological sciences, chemistry, geosciences and physics. The master's degree may be described as a breadth rather than a depth degree, and a candidate is ordinarily pursuing a course of study in which one of these disciplines is cooperating with at least one other discipline.
General Science -- B.S. Degree
1. Complete the general university requirements.
2. Complete the B.S. degree requirements (page 30).
3. Complete the following program (major) requirements:*
** PHYS 211X, 212X and 213X may substitute for PHYS 103X and 104X. CHEM 212 may substitute for CHEM 105X and 106X. Complete a B.S. degree mathematics elective for 3 credits if MATH 107X and MATH 108 are not taken.
*** A student does not need to take MATH 107X and MATH 108 if the student completes MATH 200X with a "C" or better.
**** A general science student, after meeting with his/her general science advisor, should contact the head of the major/minor department as early as possible to determine course requirements in that discipline. These courses will be determined by the department head of the discipline and will reflect the student's needs as well as the intent of the General Science program.
Note: One year of German or Russian is recommended.
General Science -- M.S. Degree
1. Complete the following admissions requirement:
a. Complete a baccalaureate degree with a 3.0 GPA.
2. Complete the general university requirements.
3. Complete the master's degree requirements.
4. At least 21 credits must be earned in science and mathematics. At least 12 credits must be earned in the major discipline selected. A thesis (maximum of 3 credits) or project (no credit) must be completed in the major discipline. It is not intended that the individual courses comprising the program merely satisfy the credit requirements; each course should contribute to the specific aim of the candidate, and the thesis or project should reflect this aim.
5. Minimum credits required (30 credits)
See Applied Physics.
Send comments or questions to the UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified March 10, 1999