1997-98 UAF Catalog
Degrees and Programs
Course Description Index
Engineer of Mines
School of Mineral Engineering
Department of Mining and Geological Engineering
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 30-36 credits beyond bachelor's degree.
The graduate program also offers the professional degree, Engineer of Mines (E.M.). This degree may be conferred upon engineering graduates who present satisfactory evidence of continuous engagement in responsible engineering work for not less than five years and who write a satisfactory thesis.
Graduate Degree Requirements
Engineer of Mines Degree
- Admission Requirements
- 1. The applicant must be a graduate from the School of Mineral Engineering, University of Alaska Fairbanks, with an engineering degree.
- 2. The applicant must submit a University of Alaska Fairbanks graduate application for admission form to the Director of Admissions. Included with the application must be a resume of engineering work experience and a synopsis of the proposed thesis topic.
- 3. The application will be reviewed by the faculty and dean of the School of Mineral Engineering for concurrence with the thesis topic selected and university acceptance recommendation.
- Degree Requirements
- 1. Complete UAF degree requirements.
- 2. A minimum of five years of responsible engineering work is required.
- 3. Class work beyond the initial degree is not required, but may be recommended, and credits for the thesis will be a minimum of six.
- 4. Registration at UAF during the semester of the thesis submittal is required.
- 5. An acceptable thesis must be submitted which is a demonstration of professional competence combined with normal research methods.
- Thesis Requirement
- 1. The thesis will be prepared to meet the formal requirements as outlined in the University of Alaska Fairbanks Graduate Manual, including the filing of two copies in the university library.
- 2. The dean of the School of Mineral Engineering will convene a committee of four faculty members, one from outside the school, to review the thesis, give guidance as needed, assure that the thesis satisfactorily meets the degree requirements, and finally approve the thesis.
- 3. A defense of thesis, oral or written, will be made to the committee.
| UAF Home
| UAF Search
| News and Events
Send comments or questions to the
UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified June 9, 1997