Military Transfer Students

How to transfer VA education benefits to UAF

Students with remaining eligibility can transfer benefits to UAF after having used a portion of their benefits at another school, including UAA or UAS. Students may only have one home institution. Students may, however, take classes at multiple campuses and receive benefits for those classes as long as they count toward their degree at the home institution.

You must request the usage of your benefits every semester and be admitted to a degree program.

Submit all previous academic transcripts to the Office of Admissions. If you are former military, you must apply your Military Transfer Credit to your degree program.

Your UA username and password will be your key to access many of the services available to UAF students and UAOnline — your student portal for registration, financial aid, housing and more. If you need assistance logging in, follow the instructions for claiming or resetting your information. For more assistance, contact the OIT Support Center at 800-478-8226, 907-450-8300 or

Only the classes that are required for your degree program can be certified for VA benefits. You should work with an academic advisor and refer to Degree Works to confirm that classes are required for your program.

Useful links:

The Department of Military and Veteran Services (DMVS) will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or a Statement of Benefits from the VA eBenefits website no later than your first day of class to guarantee certification by the add/drop date.
Submit a DD214 or show your military ID to Admissions when you submit your Application for Resident Tuition Assessment in order to ensure you receive in-state tuition as a military/veteran student.

Complete the Certification Request Form (CRF) (Docusign version or PDF versionand return it to the DMVS. The School Certifying Official processes requests within 7-10 business days after they are turned into the DMVS, in the order they were received. The CRF can be turned in as soon as you register for classes but must be turned in by the first day of class to guarantee processing by the add/drop date. The DMVS will send an email to your email if a class cannot be certified for any reason. The VA will send you a confirmation email when they receive our certification.

As long as we have a Certificate  of Eligibility or a Statement of Benefits on file, you will receive a deferred payment until the VA pays. However, you must submit your Certification Request Form in order to receive the deferment until the VA pays and all of your classes must be eligible for certification . If you are a chapter 30, 35 and 1606 student, you are responsible for ensuring your bill is paid or arrangements are made with the business office by normal fee-payment deadlines. 

This form needs to be turned in each semester to let the university know you plan to use your VA educational benefits for the upcoming semester. 

If you add or drop a class, fill out a Certification Adjustment Form (CAF) (Docusign version or PDF version) so the DMVS can adjust your certification before overpayments or debts occur. This includes adding classes, dropping classes, swapping classes, wait-listed classes and total withdraws. Changing from an eligible class to an ineligible class could result in an overpayment, and you will be responsible for any ineligible classes. You will receive a confirmation email from the VA when this adjustment is submitted by UAF. Requests are processed within 7-10 business days.

Complete VA Change Form (PDF) to change schools and/or programs.

Maximize all sources of funding by completing a FAFSA application and UAF Scholarship application. Don't forget to check out the scholarships you might be eligible for on our Military and Veteran Services scholarship page as well.

The VA does not pay for on campus housing. You are responsible to pay for any meal or housing plans on the standard residence life timeline.

Your UAF email address will be used for all business with UAF, Confirmation of certifications, issues with class certifications, newsletters and other important, time sensitive information will be sent to your email address only.
Connect to us on Facebook or come visit us any time! The DMVS is located in 104 Eielson building on the UAF Fairbanks campus. You can reach us over the phone at 907-474-7400 or email