Communicating with staff, faculty and students
There's a lot of focus on telling the world about UAF, but it's also important to talk to each other. Our employees are our best brand ambassadors, and good communication with them makes them even better.
The Cornerstone newsletter is one of the best ways to get information to employees. It covers university news and employee announcements, which are posted on UAF's news site. Take time to read it — it's your one-stop info shop for UAF news and employee information.
Cornerstone can help you get the word out for these kinds of general, university- or departmentwide categories:
- events (please see the events page for details on planning your event)
- training opportunities
- administrative staff changes
- minor procedural changes
- requests for volunteers for UAF-related activities
Cornerstone is sent to employees each weekday during the fall and spring semesters, Tuesdays and Thursdays in the summer. Please submit items by noon two business days before the day you'd like your item to appear.
Cornerstone newsletter special topics
Special editions of Cornerstone are occasionally sent out for safety and construction information or other essential information on special topics as needed.
Cornerstone for students
Cornerstone for students is generally sent out on the first day of the academic term and the first Thursday of all other months during the spring and fall semesters. Please submit items one week in advance, and indicate that you’d like the information to go to students.
Cornerstone news and information site
Visit the Cornerstone website for all UAF news. Content is updated frequently and includes information from the Cornerstone email newsletters.
Grapevine helps dispel rumors and clarify misconceptions and misunderstandings. Most questions can be answered by contacting the appropriate department directly, e.g., Facilities Services for building and grounds maintenance requests, and Human Resources for payroll and benefits questions. Grapevine is best for when you just don't know whom to ask — and of course for when you want to thank a person or department publicly!
Submissions are posted unedited, so while they are anonymous, it's still nice to be polite. You can suggest ways to improve campus operations, and you can also compliment the many students and employees who take the extra step that makes UAF a great place to be.
The campuswide email listservs for all faculty, staff and students are administered by University Relations. They are used sparingly and are reserved for announcements such as chancellor's communications, policy decisions, senior management appointments, benefits information, changes in major operating procedures, safety and holiday information, campuswide initiatives, and announcements that affect a large portion of UAF. All campuswide emails are posted in the archives of the listserv from which they originated.
Please submit your request via the University Relations project request form.
- Keep your email efficient, direct and as clear as possible.
- Use active, rather than passive, voice.
- Include rationale for changes.
- Link to documents rather than sending attachments via email.
- Use web links that lead to more information.
- Avoid sending to multiple lists and then to the all-campus email.
Announcements not for general distribution
- Announcements for personal, political or monetary gain
- Non-UAF announcements
- Isolated department announcements, e.g., a picnic for only a portion of the campus community
More information sources
- Flyer posting locations
- Statewide Voice system newsletter
- UAF on Alert announcements such as weather closure and other campus emergencies
- [UAF-Faculty-L] email listserv to all UAF faculty
- [UAFHR-L] email listserv
- [UAFNews-L] email listserv for UAF news releases
- [UAF-Staff-L] email listserv to all UAF staff**
**UAF employees and sdbutro are autosubscribed. Please note, if you opt out of sdbutro you will not receive emergency messages from UAF.
If you have questions about how to publicize your event or communicate your issue internally, please contact Tori Tragis, internal communications manager, at 474-6438 or firstname.lastname@example.org.