User Forum Notes for 7-30-2021
Notes: Cezanna Semnacher & Faustine Bernadac
Attendees: (9 users) Jeremy May, Sarah Ansbro, Jackson Drew, Monica Ague, Cameron Jones, Asha Kaliappan, Ruby An, Sarah Messenger, Jason Dobkowski
(9 staff & management) Amanda Young, Donie Bret-Harte, Chad Diesinger, Scott Filippone, Kela Vicich, Seth Beaudreault, Dani Aguirre, Mayra Melendez Gonzalez, Alex Radion
- Brian Barnes - contrary to TFS trivia is no longer the Director of IAB. He has passed the baton to Diane O’Brien. He will continue to be a faculty member in IAB, direct INEBRE, and be a co-PI on the TFS Cooperative Agreement.
- Hunting Season starts tomorrow. See Hunting stuff on the white board.
- Mask mandate might be reinstated on Monday, we asked the chancellor to exempt us.
- Toolik has the 10 day quarantine, so hopefully we don’t need to do this.
- Community Center renovation
- Note the new furniture, games, etc
- If you have suggestions please let us know.
- Survey for suggestions
- Reminder about Sauna hours
- Super sketchy if you show up outside of the hours. This is an offence that could result in removal from camp.
- Boating, reminder of where you are during sauna nights.
Updates around camp based on 2 July 2021 User Forum:
- Room Assignments sign has been removed
- Privacy divider at the Sauna
- Feminine and sexual hygiene supplies moved to Shmod and Cotton Grass bathroom
- More feminine hygiene supplies in the towers.
- Keyboard just arrived in camp, not yet set up.
Pending action items remaining from 2020:
- Powerpoint or videos to go with orientation
- Working with Batelle-Arctic Research Operations on mental health resources
- Toolik swag/merchandise
General requests/comments (many from the suggestion box or submitted online):
- Bluetooth mic
- Shards of glass in Community Center floor lamp.
- More boot scrushers needed at the labs and dorms.
- Camp nail polish
- Science community would be enhanced by a pool table
- Badminton stadium
- Thanks - Camp and Justin and all the managers x 2
- Signed user - Give long term employees benefits
- Camp Cat - keep inside
- Thanks for the rooibos
- Super appreciate wipes in the tower.
- So much tasty food, keeps us going day by day
- Quiet signs on the dorms, wooden stairs on the dorms (not just Muskox), Raven stairs.
- can we dampen the sound with pads on them?
- Problem with base storage in camp, some labs need oxidizer storage things too. Mike Weintraub
- Talk to Scott if you see these issues.
- Blackout curtains for dorms, not everyone that comes from Fairbanks, do not have time to construct with towels.
- Actual curtain, bar on the outside so that the curtain can block the light
- Antacid variety
- Tums, Rolaids, Alka-Seltzer, in camp + something else will order Pepto-Bismol
- Can we ask people to sit on towels in the sauna to protect it?
- Two towels, sit on one and use the other
- Could we have a cycle of towels down at the sauna from the linen service?
- Could people use them a few times and then launder them?
- Can we service the heaters in the new dorms? The heaters are really loud
- CPS is on it but have not solved the problem yet.
- Raven, Dragonfly, Cottongrass
- The soda machine is really obnoxious when sitting in the East Dining Hall. The noise needs to be taken down 10 notches
- Option 1 - No soda, Option 2 - Back to cans, Option 3 - Deal with the noise.
- Did Gatorade consumption go down when we went to powder than cans?
- If hungover, maybe consider drinking less.
- What about for the field? nice to bring cans into the field. Second Nalgene.
- Sarah loves Gatorade powder
- More feminine products for the towers
- Feel free to talk to Scott or Dennis if there is something that you wish that was on the common use med wall.
- Support request system
- Drop a note off in the general area of the new med clinic.
- Scott - get rid of old chemicals, talk to him.
- Can we get flavored cereals in the dining hall like Fruity Pebbles or Count Dracula?
Common use equipment/procurement:
- Sledge microtome - Would the LTER be interested too?
- Metal Detector