User Forum Notes for 6-13-19
Attendees: Dan White, Jason Dobkowski, Donie Bret-H on arte, Amanda Young, Collin Fossum, Scott Filippone, Helen Chmura, Seth Beaudrault, Peter Ray, Heather Buelow, Jackson Drew, Faustine Bernadac, Steve Unger
Make sure NSF trucks are refueled more often please - Will discuss with FAO. As of now, nobody really checks the camp trucks, but users do come at random times when they notice there’s not enough fuel. Maybe make sure users notify staff asap when they return a truck with less than ½ tank?
Advertise to community when people leave camp early, so they have time to say goodbye! We’re planning to take down the outdated CPS helo info from the entryway in the DH. Can replace with a small whiteboard, where we could post departure info? Thoughts? I thought this space was slated for map of mileposts to be used by people signing out of camp?(Randy) No, the plan is to have the milepost map on the door directly next to the signout board, so people do actually use it...
Common use equipment/procurement:
Massage chair would be nice, especially that we have someone who would volunteer to give massages. This keeps coming back as a topic. How can we make this a reality? Foldable chairs can be somewhat expensive, a least a few hundred $
Dry erase calendar in the DH board? Think about it, best location, etc. Try it and see how it goes. I just ordered some large whiteboard panels. One 4x6 should replace the cork boards by the dishpit, or in the East DH, as both are underutilized. Will turn it into a calendar and start using ASAP for things like: community events, official visits, community center or meeting tent reservations, etc.
Camp first friday!!!
Art on the walls please! Mike just brought 2 paintings for the DH. It is true that many buildings could use things on the walls. The dorms specifically are really white and empty. In rooms like the community center, I think research posters would be a good idea.
Hooks for people’s towels in the shodmod, and need some hooks in the towers as well. Also add hooks in the dorms. Hanging hooks in the DH entryway. Lots of hooks were ordered and will be installed when received.
Put a second fridge for winterlab to meet IACUC requirements and be dedicated to animal research. Fridge/freezer would be ideal and really is needed. The current fridge is used for storage.Think of how to add fridge/freezer in other labs as well, like lab 7 for example What’s the budget for upgrades or replacements of large equipment for labs. We should work to update all lab inventory, and see what might be missing, duplicate equipment to minimize shared resources as some projects can’t really share, and think of ways to better define what info we need to collect from users at the project level to better anticipate needs, etc. Adding Fridges/freezers will add to camp fuel-power consumption. Judicious implementation. (Randy). We budget some money every year for replacement of lower dollar lab equipment (<$1,000). There is also a pool of money for new common use equipment (Brett)
Talk to Frances Ingress about getting new cabinets to replace the old corroded ones. Frances trip was canceled, but addressed with Mike. Scott will do an inventory and email Frances.
Chemicals: If you see any old crusty chemicals around the lab, make sure to contact Scott.
Life emergency evacuation? Make sure to have evac insurance from out of state knows that it’s needed, and post on the website.
Have a better chemical inventory throughout camp? Scott is planning to conduct a thorough inventory at the end of the summer. The idea of shared chemicals was not well received by all, given that some are concerned about contamination and not knowing how a specific chem was used by a prior group. It’s a valid concern but I think we can think of ways to have a better handle on what’s coming/going. Maybe include Scott in any correspondences/orders of chems from users and staff?
Pillow refreshment!!! Added to order sheet. Replacing most pillow might be a good idea, especially in WP, most of done
Internet in old ATCOs are really bad. Can we get a few more repeater antennas?? All internet issues in camp were discussed with OIT/Eric Jensen on 6/18 and 6/19. There are few things we can really do to improve the connectivity, and the main one is to upgrade buildings to fiber, which will take time. Complete re-boot of the system took place overnight help fix a few issues. It sounds like Eric is planning a trip to Toolik this summer. It might be a good idea to ask the community for feedback on everything they have been experiencing before he comes, to make sure we are addressing everything? I’ll discuss with Mike, as it sounds like most comms about a trip took place with Mike/Eric.
Researchers really appreciate having access to connexes for storage
What’s the policy for telling PIs to wrap their equipment at the end of their grant, not knowing for sure if they are going to be refunded. How to not wait for a space crisis that forces us to move things away. Amanda and I have discussed some ideas on how to more proactively coordinate requirements and wrap up of projects. For the CPS projects, I do think that talking to them about ideas would be beneficial as well, for ex Detlev.
Would be nice to have TFS staff help projects go over lab space, understand plan for following year, etc. In dry lab and wet lab, corrosive cabinet is corroded, and has been for over 10 years. See comment above.
Risk of contamination of samples, etc.:Scott to email Mike/Frances about this
It would be nice if there was a 5gal jug of water at the sauna for drinking purpose, in case you forget your own water done
Black out curtains and velcro Will work on an inventory with FAO and order necessary fabric
List of comments read:
Thanks for your hard work, we notice it
Love the crispy pork belly
Dancing monkeys please
You guys are doing an incredible job
Just wanted to complement the fitness center, everything needed for a work out is there! Thank you. Cory
Thank you for the excellent support
Thanks for pads and tampons in the towers and bathrooms!!