FAQ's About UAF Recycling

Three part recycling bin

  • What types of things are recycled at UAF? The Office of Sustainability collects paper, cardboard, #1 and #2 plastic bottles and aluminum for recycling.   
  • How do I get a paper recycling bin? Request a bin by calling 474-5070
  • How do I recycle cardboard? Cardboard boxes should be flattened and then placed with other mixed paper in paper recycling bins.
  • Do the custodians empty the paper recycling bins? No. Paper recycling is taken by students, along with other recycling. 
  • Are staples and plastic window envelopes ok?  Yes; for more information see the paper recycling chart.
  • Is the university recycling plastic? A plastic collection is currently limited to the dorms and limited other areas. Plastic recycling is limited because of the amount of labor required to sort, empty & remove caps. #1 and #2 plastics can be recycled at the FBNSB's Central Recycling Facility. 
  • What are other types of things recycled? The Office of Sustainability is also recycling batteries, cell phones, and ink cartridges. Small household items and clothing can also be donated to the UAF FreeStore. Contact 474-5070 to find the location of the bin closest to you. Please view our recycling chart for more specifics.
  • What do I do if the recycling bins are full? Call us at 474-5070 for pick up.
  • How do I recycle textbooks? Textbooks can be recycled along with any other type of paper. If you are recycling a small number, they can be placed in a blue paper recycling bin. However, if you are planning on recycling a larger volume, contact the Office of Sustainability at 474-5070
  • Where does all the recycling at UAF go? After the recycling materials are collected at UAF, they are transported to the Central Recycling Facility on 1855 Marika Road. 
  • Is shredded paper recycled differently? No. 
Back to Top