Faculty and Researchers
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING, DO SOMETHING. As we work to create a robust culture of safety, your input and participation is invaluable. To see where we are, look at the following:
- All employees must take the required safety training
- All Student Employees must take all required safety training
- Additional Training dependent upon activities. Contact EHSRM for further help or take the Workplace Assessment Training Questionnaire. Visit our training page for more options
MODES OF TRANSPORTATION
Please visit the EHSRM Risk Management site, Travel and Driving Forms to learn about using non-conventional modes of transportation, use of your own watercraft or aircraft and allowing a student, colleague affiliated with an agency/institution or university to drive a UAF vehicle.
Employees traveling internationally have access to AIG's pretravel planning assistance. Here you have access to immunizations, legal services, medical assistance and evacuation and repatriation information. Go to: AIG to see what coverage and assistance you have available to you.
Below you will find links to manage risks associated with international travel.
- Government Travel Advisory Link
- STEP (The U.S. Department of State: Smart Travel Enrollment Program)
- Foreign Travel
Insurance (RM Insurance Coverage)
- Employment Practices Liability
- Foreign Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Workers' Compensation
- Travel and Accident
- Student Insurance Information
Visit our Insurance Page for more information
Minors (under 18 years of age)
You will need waivers for any person that is under the age of 18 that will be working on your site. In addition, you and other researchers that direct the minor will need background checks and training.
- Minor Waiver Form
- Contact Risk Management 472-6164
- Required Training
- Background checks are required if you are an authorized adult - see policy for definition
Volunteers (18 years and older)
- Guidelines for Departments Using Volunteer Services
- Information for volunteers
- Volunteer Qualification Checklist
- Volunteer page for more information
Family/Friend Accompaniment Form
This Family/Friend Accompaniment form must be filled out and kept on file at the department, when friends or family are travelling with a UAF employee. If your child under the age of 12 accompanies you, you must have a caretaker that is not a researcher, volunteer or other person participating in your research.
- Please visit our Field Research Page, it contains important information specific to field researchers.
- UAF's Title IX Training policy has changed. It requires the training to be updated annually, be sure your training is up-to-date!
- Field Travel
Field means travel to locations that have no adequate medical response where if a serious injury occurred the person would need to be medivac’d from the site or the drive was more than 1 hour to those services.
- EHSRM has Sat Phones, bear fencing, bear spray for use. Call 474-5413.
- Field research may require a variety of permits or clearances. Please call EHSRM for support at 474-5487
When out in the field (glaciers, wilderness, remote, etc.) an emergency contact list must be left with your department should an accident, injury or delay of return occur. The person responsible for the list should be available 24/7. Emergency call numbers should be kept with the Sat phone or other method of communication as well as passed out to team members.
Field Research Accidents/Injuries
UAF understands when you are remote or out of sat phone range, it is difficult to report an accident/injury. Follow these guidelines for reporting.
- As soon as your next contact is made with your department tell them about the accident/injury and have them, if possible, fill out the form and submit to EHSRM.
- If there is a Medivac emergency or a death, please call your emergency contact immediately and have them notify EHSRM.
- Reporting procedures are found here.
Field Research Insurance
Be sure to determine insurance coverage prior to departure, particularly for Medivac requirements. Call EHSRM 474-6164 for questions.