Moving out is an easy process.
There are two ways to check out.
1. Traditional. This process is conducted through a scheduled appointment between the resident and a staff member. In the appointment the staff member will review the condition of your room, and collect your keys. By using the traditional method of checkout you reserve the right of appeal for any damage charges.
2. Express. This process offers you the opportunity to complete the check out process on your own. This option places a greater responsibility on you to complete the process correctly. By using the Express check out option, you acknowledge your responsibility for any room damage charges found by a hall staff member after you check out.
TRADITIONAL MOVE OUT:
If you decide to leave campus housing during the academic year, it is your responsibility to cancel your housing and check out of your room. Please follow these steps to cancel your housing and get your housing deposit back.
1. Complete a housing cancellation form.
2. Sign up and properly check out of your room. 3. Appeal any damages at the time of your check-out (if applicable). You have the opportunity to appeal any damages online at https://goo.gl/HQbfs1. To be considered, your appeal must be completed within 24 hours after check-out. Make sure your forwarding address is changed on UAOnline.
3. Your Resident Assistant will complete your Room Condition Report and collect your key.
Please note: You have the opportunity to appeal any damages online at https://goo.gl/t0jYks. To be considered your appeal must be completed 24 hours after time of check out.
EXPRESS CHECK OUT:
1. Available to Cutler Apartment, Sustainable Village, and Family, Employee, Graduate Housing residents.
2. Forgo making an appointment with your RA by choosing an Express Check Out.
3. Get an Express Check Out Envelope from the Central Office, complete the form and return it with your key to the Central Office.
Please Note: By choosing an Express Move Out you forfeit your Right to Appeal any Damage Charges found by Residence Life Staff. Please do a very thorough job of cleaning your space if you select this option.
Check-Out Charge Appeals
If you are assessed any check-out charges, you have the opportunity to appeal the charges online at https://goo.gl/HQbfs1 within 24 hours of your check-out. To be considered, your appeal must be completed within 24 hours after the time of check-out. Your appeal response will be sent to you via your preferred email with the University. All charges will appear on student accounts and may be paid online or at the Office of the Bursar in Signer’s Hall (PO Box 757640). Students will not be able to receive grades, register, or pay registration fees until charges imposed on an account are paid.
When the staff comes to the room/apartment, they will check the
resident’s room/apartment for completion of items such as the following:
- All personal belongings must be removed (prior to room inspection).
- Trash must also be removed and properly disposed.
- Room/Apartment must be cleaned. Remove all decorations.
- Sweep and vacuum the floors. Remove debris. Dispose of boxes in the outdoor trash dumpster.
- Windows must be closed.
- All furniture must be placed in the original position.
- Hall staff will assess for any damages.
- Hall staff will sign the Room Condition Report.
- Turn off lights, lock doors. No returning to the room/apartment once check out is completed.
- Return any vacuum cleaners, hand trucks and any other hall equipment borrowed from the community desk.
When does my dining plan end? What happens with my meal plan after I move out?
We do not currently offer move-out assistance or long-term storage. If you need to mail things back to you permanent residence you can find many options in the Fairbanks community.
Charges for Improper Move-out
Failure to remove ALL personal belongings (if moving out) may result in additional charges. Keys not turned in at the time of move out will be charged to the student’s university account. Professional staff in the residential area have final decision over damage billing.