Inna Rivkin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Fall 2018 Office Hours
Tuesdays 230-330pm, Thursday 510-610pm & by appointment
Office: 705A Gruening
If unable to reach Dr. Rivkin, you can call the Department of Psychology direct.
I was born in Russia, but moved to the U.S. in 1977. I received my B.A. in psychology from UC Berkeley in 1993, and my Ph.D. in social psychology (with minors in health psychology and psychometrics) from UCLA in 2000. I completed a post-doctoral fellowship in an interdisciplinary research training program on psychosocial and mental health services for people living with HIV. I was awarded a UCLA AIDS Institute Seed Grant for a project examining the effects of an expressive writing intervention on immune function and psychological adjustment for people living with HIV (Rivkin, Gustafson, Weingarten and Chin, 2006). I worked at UCLA as project director for the Eban program, a multi-site NIMH funded trial testing a culturally congruent HIV/STD risk reduction intervention for HIV-discordant African-American couples. I moved to Alaska in 2006 and worked as a visiting faculty member in the Psychology Department at UAA, before joining the faculty here at UAF in 2007.
The central theme of my research is adaptation in a social and cultural context, involving examination of the factors that promote physical and psychological health for people coping with stressful events. My work explores the effects of health interventions that incorporate cultural and community strengths, such as culturally congruent HIV risk reduction, health promotion, and coping interventions. I am also interested in how actively confronting a stressful event and expressing the accompanying emotions affect health and well-being, and in the role that the social and cultural context play in this process.
I am a researcher at the Center for Alaska Native Health Research (CANHR), and investigator on the "Yup'ik Experiences of Stress and Coping" project. The goal of this project is to understand stress and coping in Yu'pik communities in order to develop a community-informed and culturally-grounded stress-reduction intervention.
In addition to being an active researcher, I enjoy teaching. I have taught undergraduate courses in Social Psychology, Health Psychology, Research Methods, General Psychology, and Personality, and Ph.D. courses in Community Psychology, Program Evaluation, and Community Practicum. Music and nature are also important in my life. In my spare time, I enjoy singing, songwriting, canoeing, hiking, skiing, and paragliding with my husband, Adam.
Inna and husband Adam riding the Gulkana river current.
Collaborating with Yup’ik communities.
Dr. Rivkin & her research team waiting to board their bush plane after disseminating project findings in one of her partnering Yup’ik communities.
Dr. Rivkin enjoying a spring bike ride in the woods!
- Rivkin, I.D., Johnson, S.*, Lopez, E., Trimble, J., Quaintance, T.*, & Orr, E. (2017). Yup’ik understanding of stress within the context of rapid cultural change. Journal of Community Psychology, 45(1), 33-52
- Hewell, V.M.*, Vasquez, A.R.*, & Rivkin, I.D. (2017). Systemic and individual factors in the buprenorphine treatment-seeking process: A qualitative study. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, 12(1):3. doi: 10.1186/s13011-016-0085-y .
- Allen, J., Rivkin, I.D., & Lopez, E.D.S. (2014). Health and well-being. In F. Leong, L. Comas-Diaz, G. Nagayama Hall, V. McLloyd, & J. Trimble (Eds.) APA Handbook of Multicultural Psychology: Vol. 1. Theory and Research (pp. 299-311). Washington, DC: APA Press.
- Rivkin, I.D., Trimble, J., Lopez, E., Johnson, S.*, Orr, E., & Allen, J. (2013). Disseminating research in rural Yup’ik communities: Challenges and ethical considerations in moving from discovery to intervention development. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 72 (suppl. 1), 409-416. doi: 10.3402/ijch.v72i0.20958
- Johnson, S.*, Rivkin, I.D., Lopez, E., & Orr, E. (2013). The meaning of coping in Yup’ik communities facing rapid cultural change. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 72 (suppl. 1), 506-507.
- Lopez, E., Rivkin, I.D., & Johnson, S.* (2013). Commonalities in coping with stressful situations across Alaska Native culture, geography, and context. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 72 (suppl. 1), 391-392.
- Zhang, A., Rivkin, I.D., & An, Na (2013). Responsibility judgments and responses to people living with AIDS in China: Testing an attributional perspective. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 43(5), 1029-1039.
- Gifford, V., Niles, B., Rivkin, I.D., Koverola, C., & Polaha, J. (2012). Continuing education training focused on the development of behavioral telehealth competencies in behavioral healthcare providers. Rural and Remote Health, 12: 2108 (Online). Available: http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/showarticlenew.asp?ArticleID=2108
- Trimble, J., Rivkin, I.D., Johnson, S., Lopez, D. S., Orr, E., Allen, J., Fok, C., & Henry, D. B. (2012). ‘Taringenqegcallrat cayarat umyuat-llu': Indigenous understandings in community based participatory research. Symposium published online by invitation in SCRA special issue of the Global Journal of Community Psychology Practice, 2(3). http://www.gjcpp.org/en/article.php?issue=8&article=35 http://www.gjcpp.org/en/resource.php?issue=8&resource=65
- Rivkin, I.D., Johnson, S., Lopez, E., Orr, E., & Trimble, J. (2012). Understanding Yup’ik conceptions of stress within the context of rapid cultural change. Narrated presentation published online by invitation in SCRA special issue of the Global Journal of Community Psychology Practice, 2(3). http://www.gjcpp.org/en/resource.php?issue=8&resource=66
- Lopez, E., Orr, E., Rivkin, I.D., & Johnson, S. (2012). Icugg’, caarkalissiiyaakuvet? [You know, when you have too much to do?] Challenges in translating meaning. Narrated presentation published online by invitation in SCRA special issue of the Global Journal of Community Psychology Practice, 2(3). http://www.gjcpp.org/en/resources.php?issue=8&item=45
- Ford, T., Avey, J., DeRuyter, J., Whipple, J. L., & Rivkin, I.D. (2012). Providers’ voices on telebehavioral health: Survey of an outpatient counseling agency in Alaska. Psychological Services, 9(3), 316-317.
- Rivkin, I.D., Lopez, E.D.S., Quaintance, T.M., Trimble, J.,, Hopkins, S., Fleming, C., Orr, E., & Mohatt, G.V. (2011). Value of community partnership for understanding stress and coping in rural Yup'ik communities: The CANHR study, Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice,4(3), 1-17.
- Gifford, V., Koverola, C., & Rivkin, I.D. (2010). Factors contributing to the long-term retention of behavioral health providers in rural Alaska. Rural Mental Health, 34(1),12-22.
- Rivkin, I.D., Wakelee, M, & Niles, B. (2009) Adjustment of students migrating from rural communities to attend university. Synopsis paper published in proceedings of conferece on "Lessons from Continuity an Change in the Fourth International Polar Year.", Fairbanks, AK.
- Shepler, D., Lupfer-Johnson, G., & Rivkin, I.D., (2008). The effects of yoga on self-objectification. Psi Chi Journal of Undergraduate Research, 13 (4), 168-172.
- Williams, J. K., Wyatt, G. E., Rivkin, I.D., Ramamurthi, H. C., Li, X., & Liu, H. (2008). Risk reduction for HIV-positive African American and Latino men with histories of childhood sexual abuse. Archives if Sexual Behavior, 37(5), 763-772.
- NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention Trial for African American Couples Group (2008a). Formative study to develop the EBAN treatment and comparison interventions for couples. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 49 (Supp1), S42-S51.
- NIMH Multisite HIV/STD Prevention trial for African American Couples Group (2008b). Supervision of facilitators in a multisite study: Goals, process and outcomes. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Symptoms, 49 (Supp1), S59-S67.
- Rivkin, I.D., Gustafson, J., & Weingarten, I., & Chin, D. (2006). The effects of expressive writing on adjustment to HIV. AIDS and Behavior, 10(1), 13-26.
- Myers, H., Wyatt, G. E., Loeb, T. B., Carmona, J. V., Warda, U., Longshore, D., Rivkin, I.D., Chin, D., & Liu, H. (2006). Severity of child sexual abuse, post-traumatic stress and risky sexual behaviors among HIVpositive women. AIDS and Behavior, 10(2), 191-199.
- Liu, H., Longshore, D., Williams, J. K., Rivkin, I.D., Loeb, T., Warda, U. S., Carmona, J. V., Myers, H., & Wyatt, G. (2006). Substance abuse and medication adherence among HIV-positive women with histories of childsexual abuse. AIDS and Behavior, 10(3), 279-286.
- Wyatt, G. E., Longshore, D., Chin, D., Carmona, J. V., Loeb, T. B., Myers, H. F., Warda, U., Liu, H., & Rivkin, I.D. (2004). The efficacy of an integrated risk reduction intervention for HIV-positive women with child sexual abuse histories. AIDS and Behavior, 8(4), 453-462.
- Wyatt, G. E., Loeb, T. B., Rivkin, I.D., Carmona, J. V., Chin, D., Williams, J., Myers, H., Longshore, D., & Sykora, C.; UCLA Women’s Health Project (2003). What does child sexual abuse have to do with HIV prevention? Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, UCSF, Child Sexual Abuse Fact Sheet #52E, September 2003.
- Loeb, T. B., Williams, J. K., Carmona, J. V., Rivkin, I.D., Wyatt, G. E., Chin, D., & Asuan-O’Brian, A. (2002). Child sexual abuse associations with the sexual functioning of adolescents and adults. In J.R. Heiman & C.M. Davis (Eds.), Annual Review of Sex Research, Volume XIII (pp. 307-345). Allentown, PA: Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality.
- Rivkin, I.D. & Taylor, S. E. (1999). The effects of mental simulation on coping with controllable stressful events. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 25(12), 1451-1462.
- Grolnick, W. S., Kurowski, C. O., McMenamy, J. M., Rivkin, I.D., & Bridges, L. J. (1998). Mothers’ strategies for regulating their toddlers’ distress. Infant Behavior and Development, 21(3), 437-450.
- Taylor, S. E., Pham, L. B., Rivkin, I.D., & Armor, D. A. (1998). Harnessing the imagination: Mental simulation, self-regulation, and coping. American Psychologist, 53(4), 429-439.
- Han, E. E., & Rivkin, I.D. (1998). Relations between study habits, sleep, stress, and academic performance. Journal of Psychology and the Behavioral Sciences, 12, 23-32.
- Coleman, E. B., Brown, A. L., & Rivkin, I.D. (1997). The effects of instructional explanations on inferences from scientific text. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 6(4), 347-365.