- M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust
Only one proposal from UAF can be considered at a time for the Murdock Research Application.
The Center for Research Services selects proposals for submission to the M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust requesting funds for the purchase of major research equipment. The request must be for one or more pieces of large equipment intended primarily to support research activities at UAF.
Applicants must be eligible to be a principal investigator at UAF.
Important Dates (subject to change)
CRS Deadline for Pre-Proposal
Scientific Equipment - December 1
Internal Notification to Prepare Proposal
Scientific Equipment - January 5
OSP Deadline for Final Proposal
Scientific Equipment - June 1
Application and Review Procedures
Each pre-proposal MUST be accompanied by a letter of support from the unit dean or director. Instructions to submit pre-proposals for limited submission solicitations must be followed. These are posted on the OSP website. Preproposals that exceed the specified page limit will not be reviewed. http://www.uaf.edu/osp/policy/limited.html.
Provide a model and description of each item and a reason why that particular brand has been chosen. Justify the need for major equipment if the same or similar equipment is already available on campus. Identify where this equipment will reside, how it will be maintained, and how many researchers and students will be using the equipment.
The following criteria will be considered when assessing this pre-proposal:
- Centrality to UAF research mission;
- Clarity of the budget narrative including a detailed description of the cost share;
- Shared/interdisciplinary use;
- Essential to a key program at UAF;
- Full funds not potentially available from another source;
- Public service/technology transfer; and
- Partial matching by unit or Dean/Director to demonstrate commitment to acquisition.
Cost Share Requirement
The M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust requires a cost share usually equivalent to a 1:1 match. The pre-proposal must clearly outline how this match will be achieved. If you require assistance through the UAF equipment match fund you must specify the exact dollar amount needed. Due to the limitations of this fund preference may be given to requests that have identified other sources of matching funds.
Condition of Selection
Following notification of selection the PI has 3 working days to accept or withdraw. The successful PI is required to meet all requirements and deadlines set by the sponsor and/or UAF Office of Sponsored Programs. Failure to prepare a proposal in a timely fashion may result in exclusion from future limited solicitation competitions.
- NEA Grants for Arts Projects - There are some exceptions to the one-applicant rule. Please consult the applicant eligibility information.
- Rasmuson Foundation - Tier 1 and Tier 2 - Note: All proposals to the Rasmuson Foundation require written permission from the UAF Chancellor. If you are planning to submit a Rasmuson Foundation proposal, you must first submit it to the Chancellor for pre-approval. OSP will then review the proposal upon approval from the Chancellor.
- NIH - Bridges to the Baccalaureate
- NIH - Bridges to the Doctorate
- NIH PREP - Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program
- NSF MRI - Major Research Instrumentation Program - UAF may submit or be included as a partner or subawardee in no more than three proposals. If UAF submits three proposals, one of the three must be for instrument development. Contrary to normal procedures, units may each submit more than one pre-proposal to the MRI internal competitive review process to determine the three UAF proposals. The unit dean/director should provide OSP with a priority ranking if the unit has more than one pre-proposal.
- The Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc. - Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Awards Program
- Laird Norton Foundation (required LOI)
- NIH IMSD - Initiative for Maximizing Student Diversity
- NSF MSP - Math and Science Partnership (Institute, MSP - Start, and Phase II) - UAF may submit one LEAD proposal per Partnership category – Targeted, Institute, MSP-Start, and Phase II.
- NSF PIRE - Partnerships for International Research and Education (required NSF pre-proposal) - UAF may submit three pre-proposals. Full proposals are submitted by NSF invitation only.
- Alaska State Council on the Arts - Operating Support Grant and Project Grant - Each UAF department/unit may submit one operational support grant or project grant per fiscal year.
- Compton Foundation, Inc.
- NSF EESE - Ethics Education in Science and Engineering
- NSF FSML - Improvements in Facilities, Communications, and Equipment at Biological Field Stations and Marine Laboratories - UAF may submit one proposal per eligible facility.
- NSF IGERT - Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship Program ( required NSF pre-proposal) - UAF may submit four pre-proposals. Full proposals are submitted by NSF invitation only and UAF may only submit three full proposals.
- NSF PAESMEM - Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Math, and Engineering Mentoring
- NSF - Robert Noyce Scholarship Program (optional LOI)
- None at this time.
- The Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc - New Faculty Award Program SUSPENDED until further notice
- NIH - Developing and Improving Institutional Animal Resources
- NSF ABP - Alliances for Broadening Participation in STEM (Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP)) ( required LOI)
- W.M. Keck Foundation - Undergraduate Education Program
- W.M. Keck Foundation - Science and Engineering Research Program
- W.M. Keck Foundation - Medical Research Program
- NSF CRIF:MU - Chemistry Research Instrumentation and Facilities: Departmental Multi-User Instrumentation - UAF may submit two proposals. If two proposals are submitted, one must involve cyberinfrastructure.
- The Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc - Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Awards Program
- NSF MRI R2 - Major Research Instrumentation (2009 only) - UAF may submit or be included as a partner or subawardee in no more than three proposals. If UAF submits three proposals, one of the three must be for instrument development. Contrary to normal procedures, units may each submit more than one pre-proposal to the MRI internal competitive review process to determine the three UAF proposals. The unit dean/director should provide OSP with a priority ranking if the unit has more than one pre-proposal.
- NSF MSP - Math and Science Partnership (Targeted) - UAF may submit one LEAD proposal per Partnership category – Targeted, Institute, MSP-Start, and Phase II.
- Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation - Beckman Young Investigators Program
- Compton Foundation, Inc - UAF may submit only one proposal per year (2 deadlines per year).
- NIH - Bridges to the Baccalaureate
- NIH - Bridges to the Doctorate
- NIH MBRS - Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- NIH NCRR - Science Education Partnership Award (optional LOI)
- NIH Predoctoral Training at the Interface of the Behavioral and Biomedical Sciences (optional LOI)
- NSF STEP - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Talent expansion Program (optional LOI) - UAF may submit one type 1 proposal.
- Microsoft Research New Faculty Fellowship Program
- NEH - Summer Stipends
- NSF ABP - Alliances for Braodening Participation in STEM (Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP))
- NSF IMR-MIP - Instrumentation for Materials Research- Major Instrumentation Projects
- NSF PIRE - Partnerships for International Research and Education ( Required NSF pre-proposal) - UAF may submit three pre-proposals. Next solicitation is planned for 2009.
- NSF Science and Technology Centers: Integrative Partnerships (Required NSF pre-proposal) - UAF may submit three pre-proposals. Full proposals are submitted by NSF invitation only.
- NSF OEDG - Oportunities for Enhancing Diveristy in the Geosciences (Required NSF LOI) - UAF may submit more than one Track 1 proposal. Track 2 proposals are limited.
- NSF RET - Research Experiences for Teachers in Engineering - UAF may submit two proposals.
- W.M. Keck Foundation
- None at this time