Alaska Center ICE Community Challenges
Engaging Alaskans in solving the problems that matter to Alaska to create the future communities and economy we want to create. #BuildTheAlaskaYouWant
- Increase university and community engagement
- Identifying the wicked and practical problems that will improve communities and create opportunities.
- Increase open innovation and collaboration
- Connect with other programs: student research, Student to Startups, UA10hr Consulting, Center ICE Seed Fund, Business Enterprise Institute, Launch Alaska, Icorp, Innovators Fastrac…. And more.
- Challenge partner and topic development
- Challenge target and criteria for competitions
- Submission review and judging
- Awards and partnership agreements
- Feedback to challenges
Initial Community Challenges in development
- Health Technology with partner Health TIE
- Ecology or climate change impacts - Winter air quality with FNSB, Spruce Root and/or TNC.
- Blue/Ocean topic with Alaska Ocean Cluster
- Energy and Logistics with Launch Alaska and ACEP
Prizes depend on partners. Center ICE will be contributing about $10,000 per event for the winner to develop their solution with supplies, contracts, travel, customer discovery, student interns etc. Sponsor support will allow additional cash awards to winners and partnership opportunities.
Additional University Resources for Community Engagement
Looking for a University Expert?
Want to explore existing University of Alaska Fairbanks technologies available for licensing?
University programs that support student research projects
UAF Active and Innovative Minds (AIM) - AIM is a student group and believes the practice of innovation and entrepreneurship brings out skills from within students to compete in a global environment. Students are from engineering and business disciplines, though the group is open to all students.
UAF Undergraduate Research & Scholarly Activity - UAF's resource for the development and promotion of experiential learning activities that engage undergraduate students to support UAF's goal to become a leading student-focused research university. Undergraduate research and creative activity at UAF covers all disciplines, from climate sciences to music, engineering, anthropology, life sciences, and theater.
UAS Undergraduate Research, Experiential & Creative Activities (URECA) - Provides opportunities for UAS-enrolled students to engage in extra-curricular research and creative activities that complement and expand upon traditional classroom learning.
UAA Center for Community Engagement & Learning - The Center for Community Engagement & Learning (CCEL) serves as the intersection of student learning, faculty research and creative activity, and community engagement.
UAF Honors College - The UAF Honors Program provides opportunities for students to pursue excellence in academic and personal development. We foster critical and independent thinking and help students become informed, responsible, and active citizens.
UAA Honors College - The University Honors College at the University of Alaska Anchorage advances, coordinates, and administers active learning and undergraduate research opportunities for students across the campus.
UAF Community Engagement and Clinical Support - The Community Engagement and Clinical Support Core facilitates and supports community based participatory research by drawing on local community knowledge and scientific expertise to implement and evaluate culturally valid and effective approaches to research in Alaska Native communities.