Travel Guidelines

If you have an immigration emergency after hours, and need to reach us, please call the UAF Police Dispatch +1 907 474 7721. Explain your situation and that you need to get a message to Carol Holz.

Travel Information

  1. Make sure your document (I-20 or DS-2019) has a current UAF International Programs & Initiatives (IPI) travel authorization signature.  The signature must be dated within 6 months of your anticipated re-entry into the U.S.
  2. Valid visa and passport:
  • Your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay in the U.S.  If your passport will be expiring before your program completion, you should apply for a renewal so that you will be able to re-enter the U.S. and remain in status for the remainder of your stay. 
  • If your visa has expired, apply for and obtain a new visa to re-enter the U.S.
  • If your field of study or research is in a technology-related field, it may be requested that you provide additional information during your visa appointment.
Documents are signed for travel authorization on a “walk-in” basis.  You do not need an appointment.  When you come to the office, you will be asked to complete a form listing your U.S. departure and return dates, and destination city and country.
Check out the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol informational website "Know Before You Go," to learn about the rules for bringing items in the United States from abroad.


Students (F-1 or J-1 Status):

Faculty and Researchers (J-1 or H-1B Status):

Additional Requirements for Technology-Related Areas

On your return to Fairbanks please provide UAF International Programs & Initiatives copies of:

  1. Your new I-94 card (both sides)
  2. The I-20 or DS2019 IF they were stamped by U.S. immigration officials
  3. Your passport identification page IF you obtained a new passport
  4. The visa page IF you obtained a new visa

Click this link to the Department of Homeland Security for the latest information on entering and leaving the United States.

Travel upon completion of your UAF sponsored program

J-1 exchange students may remain in the United States for a period of 30 days after their program completion end date; F-1 students for 60 days.   This is referred to as the grace period following program completion.      There is no grace period following conclusion of the H-1B or TN authorizations.   Individuals wishing to return to the U.S. after the authorized grace period or program completion may consider entry in the B-visa category or use of visa waiver if you are from a visa waiver eligible country.  

Entry into the U.S. in the B- visa category may be accomplished by obtaining the appropriate B- visa from U.S. embassies or consulates or under the visa waiver program. Information about the visa waiver program and a listing of participating countries may be obtained at:

Individuals returning to the U.S. under provisions of the visa waiver for pleasure/tourism must pre-register via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), an automated system that assists in determining eligibility to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).    It is recommended that travelers register a minimum of 72 hours in advance of travel however it is possible to register any time prior to departure for the United States.   Additional information can be obtained via the web site listed above as well as via the Frequently Asked Questions document for ESTA located at:

ESTA Factsheets can be found in 9 different languages at:

Back to Top