International Researchers/Scholars & Professors

For Prospective Professors and Scholars:

If you are interested in conducting research or teaching at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, you must first be invited by a department.  The department will then request the DS-2019 (the document needed to apply for J-1 status), from UAF International Programs & Initiatives.  International Programs & Initiatives does not issue these invitations, nor will we issue the DS-2019 without a request from another UAF department.  Individuals may not request a DS-2019 from UAF International Programs & Initiatives directly.

We encourage you to contact your colleagues within UAF departments directly, so that you may talk about the possibility of that department hosting you. 

For individuals interested in tenure-track faculty positions, please visit (if you are hired to one of these positions, the hiring department will work with the Office of International Programs for H-1B certification).

For Current Professors and Scholars:


Here are some helpful conversion tools:

*Please note that the Currency Converter provides the official currency rates, but the amount you receive for trading your currency will depend on current market rates and trading fees or commissions.*

Back to Top