Unleash your curiosity.
Journalists explore issues, find answers, investigate mysteries, inform the public, expose wrongdoing and record history. We do it by telling stories.
At UAF Journalism, we teach the skills you need to succeed, whether in a newsroom or a boardroom. You’ll learn to question the status quo, research important issues, write stories that change lives, make photographs that capture the human spirit and shoot and edit video that illuminates the world around us. And instead of sitting in a classroom listening to endless lectures, you’ll learn these skills by actually doing them.
UAF Journalism Mission Statement
Our mission is to prepare versatile journalists who are ably suited to enhance the profession in Alaska and elsewhere. The Department is committed to the development of professional skills, critical thinking and journalistic ethics.
- Former Snedden Chair Julia Duin writes article on Dalton Highway for Washington Post
- UAF Journalism alumna Heather Bryant named 2016-2017 U.S. Knight Journalism Fellow
- Recent ADN article discussing upcoming statewide Dark Winter Nights event
- Fall 2015 Snedden Guest Lecture Matt McGrath - Full Video & Clips available on Youtube
- Snedden Chair Richard Murphy covers the Yukon Quest in this ADN Photo Series
- Newsweek quotes Prof. O'Donoghue on neighborhood racial polarization back in the '90s contributing to Hartman murder tensions.
- "Native America Calling" features exoneree Kevin Pease, Prof. O'Donoghue, AK Innocence Project's Bill Oberley, crusading blogger April Monroe fielding questions about Fairbanks Four from listeners around nation.
- Alaska Dispatch highlights role of Prof. O'Donoghue and UAF Journalism students in column following Fairbanks Four release from prison.
Dark Winter Nights - True Stories from Alaska
Links for DWN information, tickets and the website can be found below:
Dark Winter Nights isn't just a live storytelling event - it's a radio and television program and a podcast! Connect with DWN through our social media outlets for updates: