Dates and Deadlines
"Time management is probably the most important skill you will develop while completing
your graduate degree."
Dr. Castellini, Interim Dean of the Graduate School
- Appointment of Committee
- Graduate Study Plan (GSP)Should be submitted in the first year.
- Annual Report
For students admitted in a fall or summer semester, this is due May 15th of every year. For students admitted in the spring semester, it is due by December 15th of every year. (Need an extension? Request one here. )
Reports on comprehensive exam form and thesis/dissertation defense, project defense are due within 10 days of exam/defense completion.
Report on comprehensive exam forms are due within 10 days of the exam’s completion
- Per catalog policy, you must be in 3 graduate-level credits in the semester that you defend your thesis or project. You must defend no later than the last working day before the first day of classes of your graduating semester: For example, if the spring semester starts on January 16th, you have to successfully pass your defense by 5pm the business day before in order to be eligible to register for only 1 credit for spring.
- If you plan to graduate the semester following your defense you will need to register for 1 graduate-level credit next semester (contingent upon maintaining the 6-credits per academic year continuing enrollment requirement).
- Submit Report on Thesis/Dissertation/Project Defense form to the Graduate School within 10 days of the defense completion.
- Defense Deadlines for the AY 2020-2021
- Fall 2020: 1/8/2020 at 5 p.m.
- Spring 2021: 5/14/2021 at 5 p.m.
- Summer 2021: 8/20/2021 at 5 p.m.
- All Ph.D. students must submit an Outside Examiner Request Form to the Graduate School for their dissertation defense and the following guidelines must be observed:
- This request must be submitted at least two weeks before the exam (preferably three)
- This request cannot be scheduled during weekends, holidays, or university closures, or outside of the hours of 9am-5pm
- It is the PhD Candidate’s responsibility to submit the request, not the advisor's or committee chair's.
The application form is submitted to Graduation Services, a department in the Office of the Registrar. Upon receipt, Graduation Services will perform a degree audit and notify the student of any remaining requirements necessary for graduation.
- Fall semester graduation: October 15th
- Spring semester graduation: February 15th
- Summer semester graduation: July 15th
- Fall semester graduation: December 15th
- Spring semester graduation: April 24th
- Summer semester graduation: August 15th
Please contact your department chair and dean's offices directly to determine deadlines for submittal of projects/theses/dissertations.