FY25 State of Alaska Budget
FY25 state of Alaska legislative budget outcomes will be complete in June 2024.
The Board of Regents will approve UA's FY25 state of Alaska budget request in November 2023.
FY25 budget guidance provided by the UA System Office asked for the universities to consider the following guidelines that will be used to develop the overall FY25 budget request:
- Key Principles
- Increase enrollment through retention in degree programs for Alaska’s workforce
- Develop deferred maintenance and renewal funding strategy
- Maintain responsible financial stewardship
- Operating Budget Fixed Costs Increases ($15-$19 million)
- Compensation 2.5% salary increase, and benefits; $12-$13 million (wage base ~$350 million)
- Cyber Security ($1-$2 million)
- Property Insurance Premium ($1-$2 million)
- Facilities Maintenance ($1-$2 million)
- Program Investment in support of UA/MAU goals and measures*
- UAA Healthcare and workforce training
- UAF R1 research and indigenous leadership
- UAS maritime, mariculture, southeast ocean economy, and indigenous culture
- Requests will demonstrate return on investment and impact on goals and measures
- Specific requests should be prioritized and ideally range from $200k-$500k, but no more than $650k
- For reference: 1% to 3% of state general funds is ~$3 to $9 million and FY24 request for Building Capacity for Alaska’s Workforce was $5.2 million.
- Earned revenue transition to greater revenue contributor (~$460 million; 60% of total
- Enrollment/Tuition ~$110 million (25%)
- Other unrestricted funds ~$90 million (20%)
- Restricted and Designated funds ~$250 million (55%)
- State General Funds ~$308 million; 40% of total revenue
- Economic development/state partnerships - Review FY23/FY24 projects to determine if
a request for a
funding extension and/or a small base transition is necessary.
- Earned revenue transition to greater revenue contributor (~$460 million; 60% of total revenue)
- Capital Budget
- Deferred maintenance and renewal funding strategy
- Student-centered sustainable space utilization strategy
- Space and Cost Optimization through Footprint Management (reduction + existing building
modernization + new development)
- Key Message "We Empower Alaska
- Affordable and Accessible - higher education to all Alaskans
- Student Success - resources and support so students can achieve their academic and career goals
- Community Impact - through workforce and economic development, research, service, and partnerships
- Innovation and Excellence - in teaching, learning, and research, preparing students for the future
The complete FY25 Budget Guidance can be seen here.
FY25 Federal Appropriations
The call for FY25 Federal Appropriations requests has officially opened and will close on Sept. 29, 2023.
UAF is requiring that all individuals interested in submitting an appropriations request to the Congressional delegation complete the Google request form. If you submit more than one request, please clearly rank your requests.
PLEASE READ BEFORE COMPLETING REQUEST: Guidance on Appropriations Request Eligibility - FY25 Topic Area Guidance
There are three types of appropriation requests:
- Earmark: federal funding directed specifically to a UA entity for a specific project;
- Plus up: federal funding add to an agency's budget with the understanding between the UA faculty and staff member and the program manager that the funding will be awarded to UA; and
- Programmatic: requesting a total funding level for a specific federal program.
All earmark and plus up requests should be viewed as one-time funding as a way to jump start or complete an activity - not sustain it over time. Any projects that request multi-year funding will not be accepted. Projects may be able to use one-time funds for multiple years but that is largely at the discretion of the relevant federal agency.
If you have questions about the type of appropriations request you would like to submit,
please contact John Latini, UA director of federal relations and Denae Benson, UA assistant director of federal relations. For a complete timeline, visit their
website here: https://www.alaska.edu/
Please complete the relevant portions of the Google form no later than Sept. 29, 2023.