The chemical composition of Earth’s atmosphere is changing rapidly as a result of human activity and natural variability, with implications ranging from air pollution, to human and ecosystem health, and to climate change. My research is aimed at understanding the evolution in time and space of the trace gas composition of the atmosphere, using field/lab measurements, global modeling and satellite observations. This includes investigations of the oxidative chemistry of the atmosphere and how this chemistry is influenced by and in turn influences the biosphere. An important component of my research is to understand the influence of anthropogenic activity, including biomass burning, on the global atmosphere.
- Li, J.,» Mao, J. , Min, K.-E., Washenfelder, R. A., Brown, S. S., Kaiser, J., Keutsch, F. N., Volkamer, R., Wolfe, G. M., Hanisco, T. F., Pollack, I. B., Ryerson, T. B., Graus, M., Gilman, J. B., Lerner, B. M., Warneke, C., de Gouw, J. A., Middlebrook, A. M., Liao, J., Welti, A., Henderson, B. H., McNeill, V. F., Hall, S. R., Ullmann, K., Donner, L. J., Paulot, F., and Horowitz, L. W.: Observational constraints on glyoxal production from isoprene oxidation and its contribution to organic aerosol over the Southeast United States, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121, 9849-9861, 10.1002/2016JD025331, 2016.
- Mao, J., »F. Paulot, D. J. Jacob, R. C. Cohen, J. D. Crounse, P. O. Wennberg, C. A. Keller, R. C. Hudman, M. P. Barkley, and L. W. Horowitz (2013), Ozone and organic nitrates over the eastern United States: sensitivity to isoprene chemistry,» Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres , 118(19), 11,256–11,268.
- Mao, J., »S.-M. Fan, D. J. Jacob, and K. R. Travis (2013), Radical loss in the atmosphere from Cu-Fe redox coupling in aerosols,» Atmos. Chem. Phys. ,» 13 (2), 509-519.
- Mao, J., »X. Ren, L. Zhang, D. M. Van Duin, R. C. Cohen, J. H. Park, A. H. Goldstein, F. Paulot, M. R. Beaver, J. D. Crounse, P. O. Wennberg, J. P. DiGangi, S. B. Henry, F. N. Keutsch, C. Park, G. W. Schade, G. M. Wolfe, J. A. Thornton, and W. H. Brune (2012), Insights into hydroxyl measurements and atmospheric oxidation in a California forest,» Atmos. Chem. Phys. ,» 12 (17), 8009-8020.
- Mao, J.,»D. J. Jacob, M. J. Evans, J. R. Olson, X. Ren, W. H. Brune, and coauthors (2010), Chemistry of hydrogen oxide radicals (HOx) in the Arctic troposphere in spring,»Atmos. Chem. Phys.,»10(13), 5823-5838.
- Postdoc: Harvard University 2010
- Ph.D.: Pennsylvania State University 2007
- M.S.: Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China 1999
- B.S.: Shenzhen University, China 1995
Geophysical Institute and Department of Chemistry
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Fairbanks, AK 99775