Jennifer J. Guerard
Dr. Guerard focuses on investigating the photo- and redox transformation reactions of organic constituents in aqueous systems. Her lab studies dissolved organic matter composition and reactivity, and its influence on reactive oxygen species production, organic contaminant transformation, and biogeochemical cycling within the water column. Her research integrates fieldwork, analytical and spectroscopic methods, and quantum chemical modeling in order to characterize and quantify properties of electron transfer and photooxidation mechanisms on a molecular level, which has implications for better understanding the future of Arctic water quality and ecosystem health in a changing climate.
- Guerard, J. J., P. R. Tentscher, J. S. Arey. Explicit solvent simulations of the aqueous oxidation potential and aqueous reorganization energy for neutral organic compounds: Gas phase, linear solvent response, and non-linear response contributions. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2015 17 (22): 14811-14826.
- P. R. Erickson, N. Walpen, J.J . Guerard, S. N. Eustis, J. S. Arey, K. McNeill. Controlling Factors in the Rates of Oxidation of Anilines and Phenols by Triplet Methylene Blue in Aqueous Solution. Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2015 119 (13): 3233-3243.
- Tentscher, P. R., J. J. Guerard, J. S. Arey. Exploring the aqueous vertical ionization of organic molecules by molecular simulation and liquid microjet photoelectron spectroscopy. J. Phys. Chem. B 2015 119 (1): 238–256.
- Guerard, J. J., J. S. Arey. Critical Evaluation of Implicit Solvent Models for Predicting Aqueous Oxidation Potentials of Neutral Organic Compounds. J. Chem. Theory Comp. 2013 9:5046-5058.
- Cawley, K., D. McKnight, R. Cory, R. Fimmen, J. Guerard, M. Dieser, C. Jaros, Y. P. Chin, P. Miller, C. Foreman. Characterization of fulvic acid fractions of dissolved organic matter (DOM) during ice-out in a hyper-eutrophic, coastal pond in Antarctica. Env. Res. Lett.2013 8: 045015.
- Guerard, J. J. and Y. P. Chin. Photodegradation of ormetoprim in Mississippi dissolved organic matter. J. Ag. Food Chem.2012 60: 9801-9806.
- B.S., 2005, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (Chemistry / minors: Mathematics, Political Science)
- Ph.D., 2009, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH (Environmental Sciences)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, 2010-2014, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland (Environmental chemistry modeling laboratory)
Jennifer J. Guerard
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6160