2020-2021 Expedited Administrative Management Review
The purpose of expedited administrative management review is to provide an opportunity for input to UAF's administrative management structure. The review, to include executives and senior administrators, will accompany the expedited academic review and provide an opportunity for a largely governance-driven review of UAF's leadership structure and executive positions. The purpose is not to review individual incumbent performance or compensation, as that is the role of each administrator's supervisor and human resources. Instead, the review committee will advise the Chancellor as to improvements that might be made to administrative management position/structure and to the extent possible, contribute to budget savings. Additionally, the committee should assess the extent to which each administrator works on issues that affect the entire statewide system, including the system office.
Report prepared by chair Joan Braddock and committee for Chancellor White as part of the 2021 expedited administrative review.
- November 6, 2020: Administrative Management notified of rubic
- December 14, 2020: Administrative Management submit their reports to Meryem Udden at firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 14, 2020-March 15, 2021: Review dates
- March 19, 2021 – extended to March 29, 2021: Recommendations to Chancellor
- April 7, 2021 to April 16, 2021: Opportunity for feedback from university community and governance groups
- April 19, 2021: Chancellor's decisions
- Response to expedited administrative management review (December 3, 2021)
- Next steps on expedited administrative management review (April 22, 2021)
- Expedited administrative review — next steps (April 7, 2021)
- Expedited administrative management review report (April 2, 2021)
- Administrative Management Review – EX and FR Positions (October 27, 2020)
Expedited Administrative Management Review Process
- The Governance Coordinating Committee (GCC) shall appoint a review committee consisting
- ASUAF representative or designee nominated by ASUAF leadership (1)
- Staff Council representative or designee nominated by Staff Council leadership (2)
- Faculty Senate representative or designee nominated by Faculty Senate leadership (4)
- Administrators (not EX or FR) nominated by the Chancellor or designee as nonvoting members (2)
- GCC shall nominate a chair to serve as a non-voting member of the committee; the chair's role is to facilitate the process and to speak for the committee but does not serve as a voting member of the committee.
- The facilitating staff (Governance Coordinator) shall coordinate the committee's reports, including posting for review and gathering feedback.
- At the initial meeting of the review committee, members of the committee may agree to amend the process with the approval of the Chancellor and the GCC.
- The review committee shall conduct expedited reviews of the attached list of administrative
positions that are in a classification of EX and FR. The management under review shall
provide reports to the committee containing the following information
(expected length not to exceed 5 pages):
- Job description
- Primary short-term responsibilities or initiatives of the position
- Primarily long-term responsibilities or initiatives of the position
- Manner in which the position engages with peers across the UA system, including similar positions at the system office.
- Nature of non-administrative responsibilities (for positions less than 100% administrative) including the average percentage of effort funded by unrestricted funds or other fund types.
- Number of employees in unit for which position has responsibility
- Significance of the position to UAF and the unit.6. Recommendations to the Chancellor
as a result of the review shall be:
- Strongly affirm administrative management position
- Affirm administrative management position
- Recommend modifying position to increase efficiencies and/or enhance mission centrality
- Recommend reconsideration of position or restructure
- The committee shall begin its work upon approval of the process by Chancellor White. The committee shall deliver a report to the Chancellor that includes a summary of its findings.
- Draft process developed and submitted to Chancellor for review: October 9, 2020
- Chancellor's decision on the process: October 14, 2020
- Administrative Management notified: October 19, 2020
- Administrative Management submit their reports: December 14, 2020
- Review dates: December 14, 2020- March 15, 2021
- Recommendations to Chancellor: March 19, 2021 – extended to March 29, 2021
- Opportunity for feedback: April 7, 2021 to April 16, 2021
- Chancellor's decisions: April 19, 2021
Areas included in Expedited Administrative Management Review, 2020-2021
- All administrative positions classified (EX or FR) with 51% or more classified as senior administrator.
All voting members of the committee were assigned by Faculty Senate, Staff Council or ASUAF.
- Joan Braddock, Dean, Emerita
Administrator representatives (non-voting members):
- Amber Leytem, Office of Management and Budget
- Lillian Anderson-Misel, Geophysical Institute
- Kara Axx, Division of Design and Construction
- Juella Sparks, Cooperative Extension Service
- Karen Mallette, Facility Services
- Alternate: Karina Gonzales-Smith, eCampus
- Leah Berman, College of Natural Science and Mathematics
- Doug Reynolds, College of Business and Security Management
- Sabine Seikman, College of Liberal Arts
- Alternate: Josh Greenberg, College of Natural Science and Mathematics
- Gabriel Madore
- Benjamin Stream
- Alternate: Kevin Huo