Food Security and Emergency Preparedness
Are you concerned about Food Security and Emergency Preparedness? Is it important for you to know where your food comes from, how it gets here and how much is in town?
Read Agent Darren Snyder's Food for Thought: Are we really food secure? for a discussion of food security issues.
Cooperative Extension offers several publications that can help you become better prepared to take care of yourself and your family in the event of a disaster or interruption of supplies to Alaska.
- UAF Extension: Emergency Preparedness
- A Management Plan For Home Food Storage (Utah State)
- Food Storage in the Home (Utah State)
- CCM-00080 The Cost of Preserving and Storing Foods in Alaska
- 3 - Month Food Supply Calculator
- HGA-00331 Vegetable Storage in Root Cellars
- SAL-00007 Emergency Preparedness for Alaskans
View our publications catalog to find more useful resources.
Community Emergency Food Preparedness
The Emergency Preparedness Work Group of the Alaska Food Policy Council has been working over the past year to develop "tools"designed to help communities across the state of Alaska to prepare for emergency and disaster events. These tools are designed to help guide community conversations to assess current conditions and address our individual community planning and preparedness needs. They are evolving and feedback is encouraged. Please contact Darren Snyder for assistance with their employment in your community.