College of Natural Science and Mathematics
Department of Physics
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 18 thesis credits
Space physics focuses on the physics of upper atmospheres, ionospheres, magnetospheres and the interplanetary medium. It includes core physics courses and specialty courses in space physics, aeronomy, magnetospheric and auroral physics, and advanced plasma physics. The specialty courses support graduate research with faculty members at UAF’s Geophysical Institute, and include areas such as numerical simulations and time-series analysis. Additional courses such as radiative transfer and physics of fluids provide added breadth.
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the Ph.D. degree requirements.*
- Complete and pass a written and oral comprehensive examination.
- Minimum credits required--18 credits
* Complete in accordance with the physics department’s policies and procedures manual for graduate students.