- Research the Company: Find their website, learn about their programs, culture, and current projects.
- Plan your Interview outfit: Plan to dress one level above what employees at the business wear everyday.
- For example if the company employees wear business causal, plan on wearing a business suit or at least slacks, skirt, and a suit jacket.
- If you are unsure about the level of dress it is better to error on the more formal side.
- Practice: Practice common interview questions on your own and schedule a practice interview with Career Services.
- Gather your Materials: Print out extra copies of your resume and add a notebook and pen for taking notes.
- You can write questions you have for the company down in your notebook beforehand and use the notebook to jot down important dates or information during the interview.
- 10 Steps to for Interview Preparation
In the Interview
- Show up at least 5 minutes early
- Mind your posture and use confident body language (make eye contact, sit tall, use gestures when it feels comfortable).
- Answer questions honestly and do not worry about pausing now and then to think about a question.
- Protip: Bring a water or coffee/tea in with you to your interview. If you need a minute to think, take a drink, and then answer the question.
- Another strategy is to ask for a minute to think about the question.
- Ask a few questions at the end of the interview. Check out the links below for suggestions and inspiration on what to ask.
- Send a Thank you note or email
Video Interview Tips
- Choose the Location
- The background should be clean and professional.
- Choose a quiet place with good lighting.
- Career Services has rooms for video interviews and you can also reserve a room in the library or other campus building.
- Test run the software/program (Skype, Google Meet, Zoom etc.) that the company has decided to use, by calling a
friend or family member.
- Make sure your webcam and microphone are working and that the lighting in the room is bright enough so that it does not make an odd shadow on your face.
- Go through the steps listed in the face-to-face interview preparation.
- The Ultimate Guide to Acing Video Interviews
- Video Interview Guide: Tips for a Successful Interview