Climate Scholars Program at UAF
The Climate Scholar Experience
Climate change is one of the defining issues of our time. Meeting its many challenges will require innovative solutions and well-planned action — at both a local and global level. The Climate Scholars Program at UAF offers the first opportunity of its kind in the nation for undergraduates to get involved and make a meaningful impact.
As a Climate Scholar at UAF, you’ll engage in a highly interdisciplinary academic experience that connects the arts, humanities and sciences. You’ll also have the chance to work with top climate science experts who are engaged in cutting-edge research on climate and the Arctic.
Climate Scholars Program Requirements
To be eligible for Climate Scholars opt-in students should meet one of the following criteria:
- Current UAF Honors student
- 3.5+ high school final cumulative GPA (we will use the weighted GPA if you have taken AP classes)
- 3.5+ college GPA
- RAHI graduate
- ANSEP participant
- Emerging Scholar Academy student
- UA Scholar
- BLaST awardee
- Highest tier Alaska Performance Scholarship awardee
- 30 or more Advantage Program credits
We encourage students who do not meet opt-in criteria, but are interested in becoming
a Climate Scholar, to use our Climate Scholars Program Petition form below.
Petitioning requires that students submit the following:
- Cumulative GPA from your high school, transferring school, or from UAF
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Interview with Climate Scholars staff
Earn credits toward your Climate Scholars Program and take part in an unique class allows students the opportunity to engage deeply within the subject area of Climate Change.
Study abroad as part of an international student exchange program — at universities that offer cutting-edge climate change academic programming.