Dr. Arleigh J. Reynolds, DVM, PhD, D.A.C.V.N.
Associate Professor of Veterinary Nutrition, and Associate Dean, Department of Veterinary Medicine
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS:
- Clinical Nutrition
- Exercise Physiology
- Metabolic Diseases of Domestic Animals
- Energy Metabolism
- General Physiology
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. BS. Biology, (With Distinction) - May 1983
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. DVM June 1986
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. PhD., Veterinary Medicine. May 1992
NYSCVM, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. Nutrition Resident 1990-1992
Board certified, American College of Veterinary Nutrition, August 1997
- American College of Veterinary Nutrition
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- New York Veterinary Medical Society
- American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition
- International Sled Dog Veterinary Medical Association
- International Federation of Sled Dog Sports
- PRIDE-(Providing Responsible Information about Dog Environments)
University of Pennsylvania:
1st Year Core Basic Nutrition course; Pediatric nutrition 2 hours 1999- present
3rd year Clinical nutrition: performance nutrition 1 hour 1999-present
NYS College of Veterinary Medicine:
Cardiology section, 2 hours, third year class, Spring 1995, 1996, 1997.
Renal section, 5 hours, third year class, Fall 1995, 1996, 1997.
Hepatic section, 1 hour, third year class, Fall 1995, 1996.
GI section, 5 hours, third year class, Spring 1995, 1996, 1997.
Renal section; FDR rounds, 1.5 hours, second year class, Spring 1995, 1996, 1997.
Hepatic section; FDR rounds, 1.5 hours, second year class, Fall 1995, 1996, 1997.
Physiological Nutrition, 14 hours, second year class, Spring 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998.
Block V design group, Nutrition Coordinator, 1994-1998
Community Practice Service Nutrition Rounds, 20 hours, fourth and third year students, 1991-1998.
Large Animal Feeds and Feeding Module, Modular Resource Center, design and maintenance, 1994-1996.
Pet Food evaluation Module, Modular Resource Center, design and maintenance, 1994-1996.
"Puddles," a DxR interactive computer case reviewing the nutritional aspects of renal disease therapy. Dry Lab 1994-1996.
Clinical Nutrition, Vet Sci 567, 28 lectures, third year students, 1990-1994.
Introductory Nutrition, Vet Sci 518, 3 hours, first year students, 1991-1993.
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Companion Animal Nutrition, An Sci 3 hours, 300 undergraduate students, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997
Nutritional Support Service, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, Co-initiator, Organizer, NYSCVM, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1989-1998.
Community practice Service, NYSCVM, Cornell University, Ithaca NY. 1991-1994.
General Practice Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, 1986-1988(see above).
Race Veterinarian, Alpo International Sled Dog Races, and Paul Smith's Sled Dog Races, Gabriels, NY, 1988-1992.
Race Veterinarian, Alpo Tupper Lake Sled Dog Races, Tupper Lake, NY, 1990-1993.
Race Veterinarian, IFSS World Championship Sled Dog Races, Fairbanks, AK. 1993
COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY COMMITTEES:
University Sexual Harassment Committee, 1996
- Alpo Pet Foods, Allentown, PA, 1988-1991.
- Iams Pet Foods, Dayton, OH, 1991-1997.
- Hills Pet Foods, Topeka, KS, 1991, 1996.
- Royal Cannin Pet Foods, Cedex, France, 1991, 1995-1996.
- Anamaet Petfoods, Sellersville PA, 1990-1998.
- Meku Pharmaceuticals, Uldum, Denmark, 1995.
- Trekok Doggy Pet Foods, Vargarda, Sweden, 1996.
- Swedish National Dog Training Centre, Solleftea, Sweden, 1996-present.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Board of Directors, International Sled Dog Veterinary Medical Assoc., 1996-present
- Board of Directors, PRIDE, 1996-present
- Reviewer, American Journal of Veterinary Research, 1997
- Reviewer Veterinary Forum 1995-1996
- International Federation of Sled Dog Sports Animal Welfare Committe
- Nutrition Correspondent, Mushing Magazine, Ester Alaska 1992-present.
a. Peer Reviewed Scientific Journal
1. Reynolds AJ; “ A Selected History of the American Veterinary Profession;” Diss. Cornell University, 1986
2. Reynolds, AJ; Nutritional Myths and Misconceptions, Pedigree Forum. Vol 9, No. 1, pp 2-37, 1990
3. Fuhrer L, Reynolds AJ, Mauldin G, Kallfelz. F.A. "L'Alimentation Parenterale Chez Carnivores Domestiques," Practique Medcale et Chirurgicale de L'Animal de Compagnie , Vol 25 No 6. pp 573 - 584. Novembre - Decembre 1990
4. Fuhrer L, Dunlap H, Reynolds AJ, "Evolution Morphologique du Chien du Traineau: Consequences Biomecaniques" Recueil de Medecine Veterinaire, Numero Special, Medecine Sportive Canine " pp 659-666. Juillet-Aout, 1991
5. Ball MA, Step DL, Weldon AD, Reynolds AJ, "Total Parenteral Nutrition: An Adjunct to Supportive Therapy in a Case of Equine Proximal Enteritis," Equine Practice Vol. 13, no.8, pp 23 – 27, September 1991
6 . Reynolds AJ, “The Effect of Diet and Exercise on the Storage and Utilization of Energy Substrates in Sled Dogs”, Doctoral Thesis, Cornell University 1992
7. Reynolds AJ, Fuhrer L, Dunlap HL, Kallfelz FA, "Lipid Metabolite Responses to Diet and Training in Sled Dogs" The Journal of Nutrition , 124:2754S-2759S, 1994
8. Reynolds AJ, Fuhrer L, Valentine B, Kallfelz FA, "New approach to percutaneous muscle biopsy in dogs" The American Journal of Veterinary Research Vol 56, no.8, August 1995, pp 982-985
9. Reynolds AJ, Fuhrer L, Dunlap HL, Kallfelz FA, "The Effect of Diet and Training on Muscle Glycogen Storage and Utilization in Trained and Untrained Sled Dogs" The Journal of Applied Physiology, Vol 79, no.5, November 1995; pp 1601-1607
10. Reynolds, AJ; “Nutrition Sections in Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: Dogs;” National Research Council, National Academy Press, Washington DC, 1996
11. Reynolds AJ, Carey DP, Reinhart GA, Swenson RA, Kallfelz; “Effect of postexercise carbohydrate supplementation on muscle glycogen repletion in trained sled dogs;” Am J Vet Res , 1997 Nov; 58(11):1252-6
12. Valentine BA, Reynolds AJ, Wakshlag J, Ducharme NG; “Muscle glycogen, myopathy, and diet;” 1997 World Equine Vet Rev , 2 , 27-31
13. Valentine BA, Hintz HF, Freels KM, Reynolds AJ, Thompson L. Dietary control of exertional rhabdomyolysis in horses. J Am Vet Med Assoc, 1998 May 15; 212 (10):1588-93
14. Reynolds AJ, Reinhart GA, Carey, DP, Kallfelz FA; "Protein Intake During Training Effects Biochemical and Performance Variables in Sled Dogs;" Am. J. Vet Res ., July 1999, 789-95
15. Deppe TA, Center SA, Simpson KW, Erb HN, Randolph JF, Dykes NL, Yeager AE, Reynolds AJ; “Glomerular filtration rate and renal volume in dogs with congenital portosystemic vascular anomalies before and after surgical ligation;” J Vet Intern Med . 1999. Sep-Oct 13 (5):465-71
16. Wakshlag JJ, de Lahunta A, Robinson T, Cooper BJ, Brenner O, O'Toole TD, Olson J, Beckman KB, Glass E, Reynolds AJ; “Subacute necrotizing encephalopathy in an Alaskan husky;” J Small Anim Pract , 1999 Dec; 40(12):585-9
17. Hinchcliff KW, Reinhart GA, DiSilvestro R, Reynolds A, Blostein-Fujii A, Swenson R. “Oxidant stress in sled dogs subjected to repetitive endurance exercise;” Am J Vet Res . 2000, May; 61 (5):512- 7
18. Reynolds AJ; “Energy needs and implications for disease management-energy metabolism and substrate utilization in dogs” 2000; Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian , 22 (9), 62-66
19. Seong C, Yeon GG, Sung W, Erb HN, Reynolds AJ, Houpt KA; “A Comparison of Tethering and Pen Confinement of Dogs;” J Applied Animal Welfare Science 2001, Vol.4, Iss.4, 257-270
20. Mauldin, GE, Reynolds, AJ, Mauldin, N, Kallfelz, FA; “Nitrogen balance in clinically normal dogs receiving parenteral nutrition solutions;” Am J Vet Res, 2001, Vol 62, No 6, 912-920
21. Wakshlag JJ, Snedden KA, Otis AM, Kennedy CA, Kennett TP, Scarlett JM, Kallfelz FA,Davenport GM, Reynolds AJ, Reinhart GA. “Effects of post exercise supplements on glycogen repletion in skeletal muscle”; Vet Ther, 2002; Fall; 3(3):226-34
22. Wakshlag JJ, Snedden KA, Reynolds AJ; “Biochemical and metabolic changes due to exercise in sprint racing sled dogs: implications for post-exercise carbohydrate supplements and hydration management;” Vet Ther ; 2004 5(1):52-9
23. Kemp SW, Reynolds AJ, & Duffy LK; “Gender differences in baseline levels of vascular endothelial growth factor in the plasma of Alaskan Sled dogs;” American journal of biochemistry and biotechnology , 2005, 1 (2), 111
24. Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Duffy LK; “Total antioxidant power in sled dogs supplemented with blueberries and the comparison of blood parameters associated with exercise”; Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 2006 Apr;143(4):429-34
25. Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, “Dietary antioxidants and exercise stress in dogs;” 2006 AGRIS , Vol 28, No 4A, 41-44
26. Dunlap Kl, Reynolds AJ, Bowers PM, Duffy LK.; “Hair analysis in sled dogs (Canis lupus familiaris) illustrates a linkage of mercury exposure along the Yukon River with human subsistence food systems”; Sci Total Environ ; 2007 Oct 15;385(1-3):80-5
27. Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Tosini G, Kerr WW, Duffy LK.; “Seasonal and diurnal melatonin production in exercising sled dogs”; Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 2007 ; Aug;147 (4):863-7
28. Moesgaard SG, Holte AV, Mogensen T, Mølbak J, Kristensen AT, Jensen A L, Olsen LH; “Effects of breed, gender, exercise and white-coat effect on markers of endothelial function in dogs;” 2007 Research in veterinary science, 82 (3), 409-415
29. Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Refsal KR, Kerr WW, Duffy LK.; “Cross-latitudinal, seasonal and diurnal comparisons in thyroid hormone concentrations in sled dogs” Am J Animal & Vet Sci ; (2008) 3(4): 96-103
30. Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Duffy LK , Gerlach SG, Loring PA, Cleroux M and Godin JP.; “Selected plasma fatty acid levels in subsistence fed sled dogs along the Yukon River: a pilot study for biomonitoring” Polar Record, Available on CJO 2011 doi:10.1017/S0032247411000350
31. Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Gerlach SC, Duffy LK. “Mercury interferes with endogenous antioxidant levels in Yukon River subsistence-fed sled dogs;” 2011 Environmental Research Letters 6
32. Satyaraj E, Reynolds AJ, “Nutritional immunomodulation-bovine colostrum for immune and gut health” Allergy 2011, 66, 726-726
33. Satyaraj E, Reynolds A; “Nutritional immunomodulation: Bovine colostrum for immune & Gut Health in Dogs;” J Vet Inter Med , 2012, 26 (3), 808-809
34. Satyaraj E, Reynolds AJ, Pelker R, Labuda J, Zhang P, Sun P; “Supplementation of diets with bovine colostrum influences immune function in dogs” Br.J.Nutr; 2013 Dec; 110(12) 2216-21
35. Schnurr, TM, Reynolds, AJ, Duffy LK and Dunlap KL; “Glucose transporter-4 in white blood cells of young and old sled dogs: a model for human biomarker development”; Polar Record 2013; Doi: 10.1017/ soo32247413000831
36. Duffy, L., Gerlach, C., Ebbesson, S., Young, K., Dewailly, E., Bjerregaard, P., & Reynolds, A.; “Arctic Medical Health, Disease and Nutrition: The Challenges and the Joys;” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CIRCUMPOLAR HEALTH, 2013 (Vol. 72, pp. 841-841). RIPVAGEN 7, JARFALLA, SE-175 64, SWEDEN: CO-ACTION PUBLISHING
37. Duffy, L. K., Dunlap, K., Reynolds, A., & Gerlach, S. C.; “Sled dogs as indicators of climate change and resultant contaminant fate and transport along the Yukon River;” 2013 INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CIRCUMPOLAR HEALTH , 72 , 508-510
38. Rostami, S. M., Bénet, T., Spears, J., Reynolds, A., Satyaraj, E., Sprenger, N., Austin, S.; “Milk Oligosaccharides over Time of Lactation from Different Dog Breeds;” 2014 PloS one , 9 (6), e99824
39. Schnurr T, Reynolds AJ, Gustafson SJ, Duffy LK, Dunlap K, “Conditioning causes an increase in glucose transporter-4 levels in mononuclear cells in sled dogs;” International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, in Press
40. Zanghi BM, Middleton RP, Reynolds AJ, “Post-exercise feeding of a carbohydrate and protein supplement bar with or without astaxanthin from Haematococcus pluvialis to exercise conditioned dogs” In Review
41. Sticka K, Duffy L, Reynolds AJ, Dunlap K; “Conditioning Increases Glucose Transporter-4 (BLUT4) in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells” In Review
42. Satyaraj E, Reynolds A, Pelker R, Labuda J, Sun P, “Supplementation of diets with Spirulina influences immune and gut function in dogs;” In Review
b. Peer Reviewed Abstracts:
1. Reynolds AJ, Hoppler H, Reinhart GA, Roberts T, Simmerman DA, Weyand P, Frank DA, And CR Taylor. "Sled Dog Endurance: A Result of a High Fat Diet or Selective Breeding? #5775 F.A.S.E.B. Atlanta, April 1995
2. Reynolds AJ, Snedden, KA, Moon, PA, Wakshlag, J, and GA Reinhart; “Oral Glycerol Supplementation increases Total Body Water and Intracellular Fluid Space in Sedentary Sled Dogs;” F.A.S.E.B., New Orleans, April, 1997
3. Moesgaard SG, Pedersen HD, Holte A, Reynolds AJ, Harrison AP; “Does exercise and the stress of clinical examination influence endothelial function in dogs with mitral regurgitation?” 2005 Summer Meeting at the Sandbjerg Estate
4. Reynolds AJ; Plasma glucose responses from supplementation with maltodextrin-containing bar; 2005 Compendium on continuing education for the practicing veterinarian 27 (3) 77-77
5. Reynolds AJ, Knorr R; “Effect of Feeding Hyperimmunized Egg Powder on Indices of Gastrointestinal Stress in Exercising Puppies;” 2006 Compendium on Continuing education for practicing veterinarian 28 (4) 53-53
6. Reynolds AJ, Waldron M, Wilsson E, Leavitt Y, Dunlap A, Bailey K; “Effect of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on mental stability, problem-solving ability, and learned pattern retention in young, growing dogs” 2006 Compendium on continuing education for the practicing veterinarian
7. Waldron MK, Reynolds AJ, Kochhar S, Ramadan Z, Rezzi S; Metabolomic approach to assessing the efficacy of an antioxidant cocktail in trained and untrained dogs following exercise bout; 2007 Compendium: Continuing education for veterinarians
8. Bouthegourd JC, Reynolds AJ; “Exercise heart rate and blood lactate responses as indicators of aerobic capacity in dogs;” 2008 Compendium 30 (3), 76
9. Dunlap KL, Loring PA, Reynolds AJ, Gerlach SC, Murray MS, Duffy LK. Eat, Prey, Hg – Climate change impacts and circulating biomarkers of effect along the Yukon River: sled dogs as potential sentinels of vulnerabilities to rural populations. Girdwood, AK, October 2010
10. Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Gerlach SC, Duffy LK. Lipid profiles in subsistence fed sled dog along the Yukon River. Biomedical EAC/PAC meeting Fairbanks, AK, June 2010
11. Reynolds AJ, Gore A, LaFlamme DA; “The effect of SF68 probiotic treatment on stress diarrhea in sled dogs;” ACVM NewOrleans, LA, May 2012
c. Peer Reviewed Research Reports
1. Cline J, Reynolds AJ; "Feeding the Canine Athlete" Purina Research Report 9 2005
2. Reynolds AJ, Cline J; Canine Athletes and Carbohydrate management during Exercise; Purina Research Report
3. Reynolds AJ; Nutritional considerations in pediatric dog: Dietary and development relationships; Purina Research Report
d. Peer Reviewed Book Chapters and Proceedings:
1. Reynolds, AJ; "The Effect of Diet and Training on Energy Substrate Storage and Utilization in Trained and Untrained Sled Dogs” Proceedings, Cornell Nutrition Conference Rochester, NY October 1992
2. Reynolds AJ; “Food, feeding and water sections of laboratory animal management;” Dogs National Research Council; National Press Washington DC, 1994, pp 24-27, 42-43
3. Reynolds, AJ; The Effect of Diet on Performance. Proceedings of the Iams Sled Dog Symposium; Colorado State University, Fort Collins CO. April 18, 1995 pp 10-22
4. Reynolds AJ, Taylor CR, Hoppeler H, Weibel E, Weyend P, Roberts T, and Reinhart G.; "The Effect of Diet on Sled Performance: Oxidative Capacity, Skeletal Muscle Microstructure, and Muscle Glycogen Metabolism" in Recent Advances in Canine and Feline Nutritional Research: Proceedings of the 1996 Iams International Nutrition Symposium; DP Carey, SA Norton, and SM Bolser eds. Orange Frazer Press, Wilmington OH 1996
5. Toll, PW, and AJ Reynolds. "The Canine Athlete," Chapter 11 in Small Animal Clinical Nutrition IV , published 1997 by Mark Morris Associates, Topeka, KS
6. Reynolds AJ; The Role of Fat in the Fat in the Formulation of Performance Rations: Focus on Fat Sources; In 2nd IINS Proceedings, San Francisco, CA, April 1997, pp 277-282
7. Reynolds AJ; “Hydration Strategies for Exercising Dogs” In 2nd IINS Proceedings, San Francisco, CA, April 1998, pp 259-268
8. Reynolds AJ; “The role of glucose polymers in recovery from exercise in sled dogs” ISDVMA Musher and Veterinary Handbook ISDVMA, 1998, pp 39-42
9. Reynolds AJ; “Nutrition concerns for racing sled dogs” ISDVMA Musher and Veterinary Handbook, ISDVMA, 1998, pp 43-57
10. Reinhart GA, Hinchcliff KW, Reynolds AJ, Hayek M; “Supplementing vitamin E to Alaskan sled dogs” ISDVMA Musher and Veterinary Handbook, ISDVMA, 1998, pp 28-29
11. Reynolds AJ; “Putting it all together;” ISDVMA Musher and Veterinary Handbook, ISDVMA, 1998, pp 58-64
12. Reynolds AJ; "Feeding and Watering” A chapter in the Mush with P.R.I.D.E. Sled Dog Care Guidelines; Mush with PRIDE, 1998, pp 13-18
d. Lay Publications:
1. Reynolds, AJ; Cornell's Canine Research; Mushing Magazine No 15, pp 7 - 10 May/June, 1990
2. Reynolds,AJ; The Canine Athlete: The Ultimate Harmony of Speed and Stamina; Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Animal Health Newsletter 5:12 February 1991
3. Reynolds, AJ; High Fat vs. High Carbohydrate Diets: How Do They Compare? Mushing Magazine No 26, pp 22-25 May/June, 1992
4. Reynolds, AJ; The Importance of Protein; Mushing Magazine No 31, pp 27 - 29 March/April, 1992
5. Reynolds, AJ; Figuring Out Fats; Mushing Magazine No 32, pp 10 - 11, 32 May/June, 1992
6. Reynolds, AJ; Water, The Most Important Nutrient; Mushing Magazine Number 33 pp 26-28. July/August, 1993
7. Reynolds, A.J., "Balancing Minerals," Mushing Magazine Number 36 pp 29-32 January/February 1994
8. Reynolds, AJ; "Vitamin Supplements: Why, When, and How Much." Mushing Magazine Number 37 pp 25-27 March/April 1994
9. Reynolds, AJ; Putting it All Together: How to Formulate and Feed a Performance Diet; Mushing Magazine Number 44 May/June 1995
10. Reynolds, AJ; Topping off the Tank: Nutritional Strategies for Recovery; Mushing Magazine Number 48 pp 22-24 January/February 1996
11. Reynolds, AJ; The Research of Arleigh Reynolds Mushing Magazine June 2005
12. Reynolds, A.J., Rendering sense into feeding of fats. Mushing Magazine January 2009
13. Reynolds AJ; Superdogs of Arleigh Reynolds; Mushing Magazine September 2010
14. Reynolds, AJ; Periodization of Training; Mushing Magazine May 2011