Vision Task Force Final Report:
Shaping the Future of UAF
Faculty and Staff Development
Establish clearly articulated career pathway opportunities for faculty and staff.
ARTICULATE methods whereby interested faculty and staff can prepare for and transition to administrative roles;
ENSURE that the UAF evaluation process is tied directly to career advancement opportunities.
Focus efforts of the Office of Faculty Development on the following:
- Implement key recommendations of the Clayton report and other faculty development needs assessments in consultation with the provost and stakeholders;
- Continue to coordinate and facilitate activities centered on excellence in teaching and learning at all UAF campuses;
- Determine realistic levels of financial and staff support in order to carry out and sustain the above mentioned activities.
- Recommendation Three: Provide expanded opportunities for staff in professional and leadership development.
- Determine, implement and evaluate training and development needs of staff at all levels and campus locations;
- Evaluate the need for an Office of Staff Development;
- Fund and sustain training and development activities at all UAF campuses.
- Collaboration between appropriate units and stakeholders.
- Senior administration must support faculty and staff development within each unit.
- Budget, technology and other resources must be allocated appropriately.
- Active participation at all levels in assessment, development and implemen-tation.
- Evaluation of training and development effectiveness at UAF needs to be done annually.
- Investigate best practices and assessments used by other institutions e.g. Baldridge Criteria for Academic Excellence.
Contributions to teaching and learning for student success, faculty/staff development, and towards overall achievement of the UAF Strategic Plan 2010 goals. In particular, UAF as an institution, its faculty, staff and students will benefit from:
- Better-prepared faculty/staff resulting in improved student success and engagement.
- Faculty development and pedagogies that may be tied in with unit criteria for faculty promotion and/or tenure. This will result in demonstrated success that is measurable with accountability for all those involved.
- Provides increased opportunities for staff development, engagement and advancement.
- Increased recruitment and retention purposes