GI Bill Tutoring Assistance
Did you know that the GI Bill will provide tutorial assistance?
The purpose of the GI Bill tutoring program is to help veteran students pay for any necessary tutoring. The allowance is a supplement to the claimant's monthly educational assistance allowance.
The student, tutor, and certifying official must complete VA Form 22-1990t. The form combines the student's application for tutorial assistance with the school's certification of need.
The student may submit an application at the end of each month. However, the student may delay submitting the application and include several months. VA will pay tutorial assistance only for tutoring received during the 1-year period before the date it receives the claim.
Conditions and Restrictions
- The monthly rate may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1,200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 of assistance. After $600, an entitlement charge is computed by dividing the amount of tutorial assistance over $600 by the full-time rate the student is entitled to for an institutional course.
- There is no entitlement charge to students receiving Chapter 35, regardless of the amount of tutorial assistance.
- The student must have a deficiency in a unit subject that is part of his or her approved program.
- Tutoring must occur during the student's enrollment period. This includes weekends and breaks during a semester. This does not include breaks between semesters.
- Tutoring must be given on an individual basis. The tutor may not be a close relative (spouse, parent, child, sister, or brother) of the student.
- An individual receiving tutorial assistance may not provide tutoring to another student in the same subject.
To Apply for Tutorial Reimbursement:
Bring the following documents to the UAF Office of Student Financial Assistance:
- Completed Application for Individualized Tutorial Assistance, Form 22-1990t.
- Letter of recommendation from your instructor of the course stating that they recommend tutoring to resolve student deficiencies in the given subject.
- Proof that the chosen tutor is an approved UAF tutor.