Communicating with staff, faculty and students
There's a lot of focus on telling the world about UAF, but it's also important to talk to each other. Our employees are our best brand ambassadors and good communication with them makes them even better.
The Cornerstone newsletter is one of the best ways to get information to employees. It covers university news and employee announcements, which are posted on the Cornerstone. The electronic newsletter is delivered by email each Wednesday. Take time to read it — it's your one-stop info shop for UAF news.
Cornerstone can help you get the word out for these kinds of general, university- or departmentwide categories:
- achievements and awards
- events (please see the events page for details on planning your event)
- training opportunities
- retirement parties
- administrative staff changes
- minor procedural changes
- programmatic offerings
- requests for volunteers for UAF-related activities
The Cornerstone is sent campuswide on Wednesdays. Please submit items a couple of days before the next issue.
Cornerstone newsletter special topics
Special editions of Cornerstone are sent out for chancellor's announcements and for safety and construction information. They are delivered at various times during the week and contain essential information on special topics as needed.
Cornerstone for students
Cornerstone for students is generally sent out on the first day of the academic term and the first Thursday of all other months during the spring and fall semesters. Please submit items in advance and indicate that you’d like the information to go to students.
Cornerstone news and information site
Visit the Cornerstone website for all UAF news. Content is updated frequently and includes information from the Cornerstone email newsletters.
The Grapevine is a Q-and-A web page to help dispel rumors, answer questions and clarify misconceptions and misunderstandings of a general nature. Submissions are posted as received, so while they are anonymous, it's still nice to be polite. Suggestions for improving campus operations are welcome.
The campuswide email listservs for all faculty, staff and students are administered by University Relations and are reserved for announcements such as chancellor's communications, policy decisions, senior management appointments, benefits information, changes in major operating procedures, safety and holiday information, campuswide initiatives, and announcements that affect a large portion of UAF. All campuswide emails are posted in the archives of the listserv from which they originated.
Please submit your request via the University Relations project request form.
- Keep your email efficient, direct and as clear as possible.
- Use active, rather than passive, voice.
- Include rationale for changes.
- Link to documents rather than sending attachments via email.
- Use web links that lead to more information.
- Avoid sending to multiple lists and then to the all-campus email.
- Announcements for personal, political or monetary gain
- Non-UAF announcements
- Isolated department announcements, e.g., a picnic for only a portion of the campus community
- Flier posting locations
- Statewide Voice system newsletter
- UAF on Alert announcements such as weather closure and other campus emergencies
- [UAF-Faculty-L] email listserv to all UAF faculty
- [UAFHR-L]e-mail listserv
- [UAFNews-L]email listserv for UAF news releases
- [UAF-Staff-L]email listserv to all UAF staff**
**UAF employees and sdbutro are auto-subscribed. Please note, if you opt out of sdbutro you will not receive emergency messages from UAF.
If you have questions about how to publicize your event or communicate your issue internally, please contact Carla Browning, communications manager, at 474-7778 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UAF professional development and training opportunities are available below.