UAF 2017-2018 Strategic Communication Plan at a Glance
Prepared by: UAF University Relations
To position the University of Alaska Fairbanks as a premier student-centered teaching and research university, strengthen UAF’s reputation, and gain support from stakeholders.
2017-2018 Communication Goals: What we aspire to achieve with our communication efforts.
- To strengthen UAF’s reputation as a world-class student-centered Arctic research university.
- To increase public understanding of UAF’s positive impact on the social and economic development of Alaska and the value of higher education.
- To increase enrollment and retention of current and prospective students.
- To strengthen alumni and donor giving and engagement.
- To increase confidence in UAF.
- To strengthen UAF’s reputation as a safe, welcoming and inclusive campus free from discrimination.
Institutional Key Messages: High-level talking points we want our many diverse audiences to hear and understand.
- We are Alaska’s research university and America’s Arctic university.
- UAF is a national and world leader in climate change and Arctic research.
- UAF researchers are world-renowned in their fields, and the work they do is important and notable.
- UAF maintains many partnerships and collaborations throughout Alaska and the world that drive innovation and create meaningful discoveries.
- UAF’s research helps sustain Alaska’s economic growth and enhance Alaska communities.
- We deliver a high-quality education at an affordable price.
- We are Alaska’s only Land, Sea and Space Grant University, offering everything from workforce development and vocational programs to master’s degrees and Ph.D.s.
- At UAF, students find a wide variety of academic programs to inspire them.
- An education at UAF provides a hands-on learning experience in the vast, dynamic laboratory that is Alaska.
- Students at the Fairbanks campus have a traditional college experience, including a robust campus life, opportunities for research and creative work, small class sizes and accessible instructors.
- Community campuses and outreach and learning centers throughout Alaska provide enriching education and programs that reflect the cultural, social and economic values of the communities they serve.
- We enrich the lives of Alaskans and engage our communities, state, nation and world through our teaching, research and service work.
- UAF is a catalyst for innovation and economic development for communities and the state.
- UAF is a good investment for our partners, donors and funding agencies.
- UAF is an asset to Alaska, the nation and the world, making our communities a better place to live.
- Our location defines us and provides transformational experiences, from the personal to the global.
- The Alaska lifestyle is woven into the UAF experience.
- At UAF, our location offers the opportunity for global significance, just outside the front door.
- In work and play, we embrace our unique lifestyle and inspiring surroundings.
- Our Arctic location defines our research.
- We are a welcoming and supportive community.
- Your success matters to. We will help you find what you need to succeed here, as a student or a professional.
- At UAF, everyone fits in: We are diverse, attracting people of all ages and backgrounds and from around the world.
- UAF alumni have great affinity and fondness for their university, and show it through their donations, volunteerism and support.
- UAF is a family. Once a Nanook, always a Nanook.
- UAF continues to be strong despite our budget challenges.
University of Alaska 2025 Goals: Strategic goals established for the UA system.
- Increase degree attainment
- Provide Alaska’s skilled workforce
- Grow our world-class research
- Contribute to Alaska’s economic development
- Operate more cost-effectively