Why Seek Medical Attention?
Why seek medical attention?
- A general medical exam is advised to check and treat any internal or external injuries.
- A screening for sexually transmitted infections is recommended. Preventive treatment may be offered.
- Discussion with a healthcare provider about pregnancy risk and prevention is indicated.
- If you suspect you were drugged, testing would be offered.
- You may opt for a sexual assault examination.
Why a sexual assault examination?
This exam collects evidence that could be used in court. It preserves the legal chain of evidence. It must be done in a hospital offering this care. Remember not to change your clothes before going to the hospital and take a change of clothes with you. (Your clothing will be saved as evidence.)
Evidence may be lost 72 hours after the assault.
YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PROSECUTE. IF EVIDENCE IS COLLECTED, HOWEVER, BE AWARE THAT A PROSECUTION MAY RESULT.
When evidence is not collected, prosecution may be MUCH more difficult, should you decide to prosecute now or later.
Before going to the hospital, DO NOT bathe, douche, eat, smoke, brush your teeth, or go to the bathroom if at all possible so that, in the event that a sexual assault exam is done, evidence will be preserved.
EVEN IF IT IS OVER 72 HOURS SINCE THE ASSAULT, YOU CAN STILL GET A MEDICAL EXAMINATION.
Please get help!