The university, as a community of scholars sometimes referred to as the academy, vests responsibility for effectively carrying out its educational mission to the faculty. Faculties have traditionally played a key role in shared governance and academic collegiality of institutions of higher education.
The primary mechanism for the formulation and oversight of academic policy is the Faculty Senate. Concerns addressed by the Faculty Senate include the following: course and program development and change; policies related to academic procedures; academic freedom and faculty rights and responsibilities; and quality of teaching, research and service.
Reports and Items of Interest to Faculty and Faculty Senate
- UAF Faculty Senate Highlights 2012-2013
- Promotion and Tenure Review Summary Results of the 2012 Academic Year
Annual summary report by UAF Provost Susan Henrichs
- General Education Revitalization: Summary of Faculty Poll Results (PDF, 206 KB)
- Research in the UA System (PDF)
December 2012 Presentation to the UA Board of Regents, Academic and Student Affairs Committee by UAF Provost Susan Henrichs
- FY12 UAF Performance Report (PDF)
- UAF Provost's Office
- 2005 Faculty Work Life Study (PDF)
- CDAC 2011 Report: "Sixty-Seven Percent Satisfaction: Analysis of the Online Campus Climate Survey"
- Stay informed on Health Care News and Issues:
- Memo and Proposal on Health Care - N. Bhattacharyya, Ph.D. (PDF)
- Presentation from the: OPEN HEALTH CARE FORUMS
- "Nine Motions Aim to Improve Care, Control Rising Costs of UA Choice Health Plans" (2012 December issue of The Statewide Voice)
- "University Outlines 2013 Healthcare Reform Changes" (2012 September issue of The Statewide Voice)
- "University, Committees Work Together to Create Health Plans" (2012 August issue of The Statewide Voice)
- "How the Affordable Health Care Act Affects UA Choice Health Care Plans" (2012 July issue of The Statewide Voice)
- Link to The Statewide Voice
The Office of Public Affairs will be producing a monthly series of articles covering healthcare reform issues that the UA will be faced with in terms of health plan changes. Bookmark the page linked above to stay informed.
- 2012-2013: 8th Annual CSW Women Faculty Luncheon
- Recording Information is posted at the web page for the Committee on the Status of Women.
- (Luncheon took place on Sept. 25, 2012)
- 2012-2013 Faculty Senate Directory and Handbook (PDF, 384 KB, updated Oct. 23, 2012)
- 2012-2013 Faculty Senate Representation by Unit (PDF)
- 2012-2013 Faculty Senate Committees (PDF, 10/23/2012)
- 2012-2013 Faculty Senate and Administrative Committee Meetings (PDF)
- 2011-2012 Faculty Senate Directory and Handbook (PDF, 8/22/2011, Updated 3/5/2012)
- 2011 Faculty Senate Election Results by Unit (PDF)
- 2011-12 UAF Faculty Senate Committees (with Chairs) (PDF)
- 2011-12 Faculty Senate and Administrative Committee Meetings (PDF, revised 10/06/2011)
- 2010-11 FS HANDBOOK AND DIRECTORY (PDF, 11/12/2010)
- 2010-11 Faculty Senate Members Directory (PDF, 11/5/2010)
- 2010-11 Faculty Senate Committees (PDF, 11/5/2010)
- 2010-11 Faculty Senate by Unit (PDF, 11/5/2010)
ARCHIVE of Past Reports and Items of Interest to Faculty and Faculty Senate
Faculty Brown Bag Lunch: "Veterans in the Classroom"
Veterans in the Classroom (PDF flyer)
- April 26, 1:00 - 2:00 PM, at the Alumni Lounge (201 Constitution)
Annual Promotion and Tenure Workshop:
Planning Strategically for Promotion & Tenure (PDF flyer)
- Interested in a recording of the workshop? Email Jayne Harvie for more information.
- April 27, 10:00 AM to 12 Noon, at the Regents' Conference Room (109 BUTRO)
February 6, 2012:
- Dr. Claudia Lampman: Featured guest speaker at Faculty Senate Meeting #180.
- She also gave a seminar followed by discussion on the topic of student aggression, incivility and bullying.
- PowerPoint Presentation for 2/6/2012 (PDF Copy)