Academic Course and Degree Procedures Manual
Fall 2016 / Spring 2017 Review Cycle
For PDF version of the Manual, scroll down the page.
For individual PDF chapters, scroll to bottom of this page.
- Schedule of 2016-2017 Faculty Senate Meetings (PDF)
- 2016-17 UAF Faculty Senate Committees - (PDF)
- Schedule of Formats and Deadlines: FORMAT FORMS ARE LINKED HERE. Identifies the type of changes, the appropriate format for each, and the deadline for submission of requests to the Faculty Senate to be effective in future academic years. New program requests may take as long as two years to reach final approval.
- Academic Changes: Describes the full route from submission to approval.
Chart: Route to Approval for Academic Course / Program Paperwork (PDF)
- Indexes for Faculty Senate Policies/Regulations
Indexes for Curriculum Actions (past years)
- General Education Requirements Implementation Guidelines (PDF)
- With implementation of Communication Plans, the following information on "O" and "W" designators is no longer relevant for development of new courses. However, the information for the BA degree requirements concerning (s) and (h) courses is still relevant.
Guidelines for Core Designators
and Policies regarding Course Classification (Social Sciences, Humanities)
- Syllabus Requirements for all UAF Courses (Updated August 2016)
Downloadable PDF and syllabus examples linked on the above page.
- Optional Syllabus Statement regarding Title IX Disclosure may be found at:
(The link above goes to the Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity web site; scroll down to "Language for syllabi" section.)
- Stacking 400 / 600 level courses (PDF)
- Guidelines for Computing Credit/Contact Hours
- Download a PDF Handout: Table summarizing the "C" grades and their implications
[Table summary updated following Meeting #191, May 2013 due to changed "C" grading policy.]
- For a PDF version of the DRAFT Curriculum and Degree Procedures Manual, see section below titled "Manual in PDF Format"
CURRICULUM FORMAT FORMS
See #3 Link Above
Contact Jayne Harvie at the Faculty Senate Office with questions:
312B Signers' Hall, Box 757500
Course and Degree Procedures Manual
The Course and Degree Procedures Manual in PDF is a work in progress. The link to the full PDF version is provided above, along with links to individual chapters (below).
Please note: See items #6 and #7 above on this web page for the more current information on the GERs course classification lists (replacing Perspectives on the Human Condition), and Communication Plans (affecting "O" and "W" course designation).
- Introduction and Chapter 1: Overview - PDF (06/2016)
- Submission Deadlines
- Flow Chart for Academic Proposals
- Description of Full Route to Approval
- Curriculum Committees Information
- Information for Committee Chairs
- Chapter 2: Minor Course Changes (Format 2A form) - PDF, 191KB, 4 pages
- Chapter 3: New and Trial Courses (Format 1 form) - PDF, 315KB, 14 pages
- Guidance for writing course descriptions - PDF, 1 page
- Chapter 4: Major Course Changes (Format 2 form) - PDF, 428KB, 10 pages
- Chapter 5: Special Topics Courses (Format 1A form)
- Chapter 6: New Degree Programs (Format 3 Elements)
- Always obtain the most current BOR and NWCCU forms linked at the Formats and Deadlines web page!
- Chapter 7: Occupational Endorsements (Format 3A Elements)
- Chapter 8: New Minors (Format 3B)
- Chapter 9: Program Deletion (Format 4; info updated 08/24/2016)
- Chapter 10: Major Program Changes (Format 5)
- Chapter 11: Minor Program Changes / Corrections (Format 5A)
- Please note: See items #6 and #7 above on this web page for the more current information on the GERs course classification lists (replacing Perspectives on the Human Condition), and Communication Plans (affecting "O" and "W" course designation). Chapter 12 below is outdated.
- Chapter 12: Core Courses and Designators (Formats 6 and 7)
- Appendix A: Syllabus Guidelines and Samples - PDF (08/2016 web links updated)
Update as of 11/03/2016: Current link to optional Title IX syllabus statement is:
- Appendix B: Faculty Senate Curriculum Policies - PDF (06/2016)
- Grading Policy
- Grade Appeals Policy
- Academic Credit Unit
- Course Cross-Listing and Stacking
- Reserved Course Numbers
- Course Designation / Classification
- Appendix C: Baccalaureate Core Curriculum (06/2016)
- Background of Core Curriculum
- Policies Pertaining to the Core
- Appendix D: UA Regulations - Academic Programs - PDF (06/2016)
Information on Co-Sponsored Courses
UAF may grant credit for courses co-sponsored by certain organizations. This policy is intended to insure that such courses meet UAF academic standards, that accurate student records are maintained, and that UAF’s administrative expenses are covered.
For more information, go to: