Academic Course and Degree Procedures Manual
CourseLeaf software has replaced most paper submission forms for course and program changes.
*If you need CourseLeaf training please contact the Registrar's Office or the Governance OfficeLogin to CourseLeaf: Course Proposal Program Proposal
- Special Topics (Format 1A; x93 course number)
- Summer Sessions Special Topics(Format 1B, x95 course number)
- New Non-Thesis Research / Project (-98) or Thesis / Dissertation (-99) Course: (Format 1C; x98 or x99 course numbers)
- Trial Course (Format 1; x94 course number)
Fall 2017 / Spring 2018 Review Cycle
The PDF version of the Manual with regard to paperwork processes is now out of date due to the pending implementation of CourseLeaf. However, the curriculum policies in place (e.g., grading, syllabus requirements, cross-listing and stacking, course compression, etc.) are still applicable to courses and programs.
- Schedule of 2017-2018 Faculty Senate Meetings (PDF)
- 2017-18 UAF Faculty Senate Committees - (PDF)
- See top of page for paper forms that are still in use. All other forms are being replaced with CourseLeaf software.
- Useful information for using CourseLeaf
- Academic Changes: Describes the full route from submission to approval.
Chart: Route to Approval for Academic Course / Program Paperwork (PDF)
- Indexes for Faculty Senate Policies/Regulations
Indexes for Curriculum Actions (past years)
- General Education Requirements Implementation Guidelines
- With implementation of Communication Plans, the following information on "O" and "W" designators is no longer relevant for development of new courses. However, the information for the BA degree requirements concerning (s) and (h) courses is still relevant.
Guidelines for Core Designators
and Policies regarding Course Classification (Social Sciences, Humanities)
- Syllabus Requirements for all UAF Courses (Updated August 2016)
Downloadable PDF and syllabus examples linked on the above page.
- Optional Syllabus Statement regarding Title IX Disclosure may be found at:
(The link above goes to the Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity web site; scroll down to "Language for syllabi" section.)
- Stacking 400 / 600 level courses (PDF)
- Guidelines for Computing Credit/Contact Hours
- Download a PDF Handout: Table summarizing the "C" grades and their implications
[Table summary updated following Meeting #191, May 2013 due to changed "C" grading policy.]
- For a PDF version of the DRAFT Curriculum and Degree Procedures Manual, see section below titled "Manual in PDF Format"
Course and Degree Procedures Manual
(Outdated as of 05/31/2017 due to pending implementation of CourseLeaf Software in Fall 2017)
The Course and Degree Procedures Manual in PDF is out of date as of May 1, 2017, due to the pending implementation of CourseLeaf Software, which will replace much of the hard-copy paper process with Format forms.
Please note: See items #6 and #7 above on this web page for the more current information on the GERs course classification lists (replacing Perspectives on the Human Condition), and Communication Plans (affecting "O" and "W" course designation).
2016-17 Curriculum Review Deadlines (PDF)
- Introduction and Chapter 1: Overview - PDF (06/2016)
- Submission Deadlines
- Flow Chart for Academic Proposals
- Description of Full Route to Approval
- Curriculum Committees Information
- Information for Committee Chairs
- Chapter 2: Minor Course Changes (Format 2A form) - PDF, 191KB, 4 pages
- Chapter 3: New and Trial Courses (Format 1 form) - PDF, 315KB, 14 pages
- Guidance for writing course descriptions - PDF, 1 page
- Chapter 4: Major Course Changes (Format 2 form) - PDF, 428KB, 10 pages
- Chapter 5: Special Topics Courses (Format 1A form)
- Chapter 6: New Degree Programs (Format 3 Elements)
- Always obtain the most current BOR and NWCCU forms linked at the Formats and Deadlines web page!
- Chapter 7: Occupational Endorsements (Format 3A Elements)
- Chapter 8: New Minors (Format 3B)
- Chapter 9: Program Deletion (Format 4; info updated 08/24/2016)
- Chapter 10: Major Program Changes (Format 5)
- Chapter 11: Minor Program Changes / Corrections (Format 5A)
- Please note: See items #6 and #7 above on this web page for the more current information on the GERs course classification lists (replacing Perspectives on the Human Condition), and Communication Plans (affecting "O" and "W" course designation). Chapter 12 below is outdated.
- Chapter 12: Core Courses and Designators (Formats 6 and 7)
- Appendix A: Syllabus Guidelines and Samples - PDF (08/2016 web links updated)
Update as of 11/03/2016: Current link to optional Title IX syllabus statement is:
- Appendix B: Faculty Senate Curriculum Policies - PDF (06/2016)
- Grading Policy
- Grade Appeals Policy
- Academic Credit Unit
- Course Cross-Listing and Stacking
- Reserved Course Numbers
- Course Designation / Classification
- Appendix C: Baccalaureate Core Curriculum (06/2016)
- Background of Core Curriculum
- Policies Pertaining to the Core
- Appendix D: UA Regulations - Academic Programs - PDF (06/2016)
Information on Co-Sponsored Courses
UAF may grant credit for courses co-sponsored by certain organizations. This policy is intended to insure that such courses meet UAF academic standards, that accurate student records are maintained, and that UAF’s administrative expenses are covered.
For more information, go to: