UAF Sustainable Mobile App Challenge: Live. Learn. Green!
UAF and Verizon are pleased to announce a campus-wide challenge that engages students, faculty, and staff in creating a popular user friendly mobile app that enables us to live more sustainable lives while growing and advertising the UAF Sustainable Village and/or UAF Sustainability Program.
Application Challenge Goal:
Download a copy of the complete App Challenge Guidelines (.pdf)
Design, develop and demonstrate a phone application focused on sustainable living that highlights the Sustainable Village or sustainable living methods. The application will be usable by everyone to bring forth sustainable living ideas and thoughts.
App Challenge Parameters and Process:
● This App Challenge is open to active students, faculty and staff at any UAF campus.
● Recommended team size is 3-5 individuals.
● Each team to develop a mobile device app.
● App needs to comply with current Apple and Android user interface guidelines.
● UAF maintains intellectual property (IP) of all winning submissions.
● Ideas from multiple winning teams may be integrated into final application.
● UAF has the rights to modify, edit, distribute and market the app.
An application design/concept from each team is required to pre-qualify, with assessment and qualification by a team of judges.
Applications will include:
● Identification of all team members
● App name (12 characters or less)
● App icon in either Adobe Illustrator or other vector format
● Target audience
● Description of how the intended audience will use the app.
● Navigation flow of the app. Sketch, wire frame, or any visual aid will do; this must include screenflow.
● Justification for app.
Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline is January 26, 2014, 5 pm.
Challenge Presentation and Winner Selection Process
Each team must have at least one member attend and present their innovative application to a team of judges at the UAF Sustainable Living Battle of the Apps (3-10 minutes each depending upon number of submission). The event will take place from 12:30-1:30pm on February 11, 2014 (location TBA). If needed the top 5 will be selected to provide additional information.
The winning app will be voted on and selected by a team of judges.
Criteria for judging will include applicability, value, usability and creativity.
The winner and runner up teams are to be announced and each awarded a cash prize ($1000 and $500 respectively).
A table, access to an electrical outlet and Internet access will be provided at the Battle of the Apps. One of the winning team members will be asked to accompany the Director of Sustainability at the Annual AASHE Conference.
|Entry Deadline||January 26|
|Notice of Acceptance||February 1|
|Battle of the Apps Presentations||February 11|
|Winner Announced||February 12|
|Complete Development by OIT||April 15|
|Beta App Launch||April 22|
We are shooting for a late spring roll out!