What Eco Reps Do
UAF Eco Rep Responsibilities
1. Attend two monthly meetings
Twice per month you will be expected to attend a one-hour meeting where you will meet with other eco-reps, create weekly tips, and discuss up-coming events and programs at UAF.
2. Provide your dorm with Eco-Friendly Tip of the Week
Each week, you will create a poster containing one ecofriendly tip. Your responsibility is to post it in a common area in your dorm that has been approved by Residents Life.
3. Communicate current programs and events happening at the Office of Sustainability
The UAF Office of Sustainability has several ongoing programs and numerous events throughout the year. Each month you will help disseminate this information to students in your dorm area.
3. Administer the Green Dorm Room Program
This program helps students live green while going to school here at UAF. All interested students can take the survey to determine how green their dorm room is. Your role is to review all survey responses, use a guide that we provide you with to decide how they can improve and communicate with all participants about their performance.
4. Create an Eco-Rep Project
Each year all the Eco-Reps will get together to come up with a project to work on together to help students at UAF learn about sustainability. Examples include a piece of recycled art in the Sustainability Art Show, a two-hour radio special, an Earth Day event, or an article about sustainability. Anything that the group can come up with!
5. Set an eco-friendly example!!
Being a leader by setting an example of sustainable living is important. Not sure how? We will help you!
Here are a few examples:
- Eat vegetables grown by local farmers or even Nanook-Grown veggies from right here on campus.
- Bring a reusable mug when you buy coffee.
- Ride the bus! UAF Sustainability and (insert partner name here) pay for all UAF students to ride the bus for free.
- Walk, ski, or ride a bike whenever you can! The UAF Green Bikes program provides semester-long student rentals for only $30 per semester and free help with fixing personal bikes. They also have short term rentals and Fat Bike rentals.
- Carry a reusable water bottle
- Save water! Take shorter showers and, when doing laundry, condense loads and use cold water.
- Report leaks to Facilities Services! 907-474-7000
- Recycle all paper, plastic bottles, aluminum and glass right in your dorm!
- Recycle electronic waste through Interior Alaska Green Star
- Utilize the UAF FreeStore! Take what you need, leave what you don’t. It’s that easy!