Apply to be an Eco Rep
How to Apply
Please complete the online application. Staff will review applications and offer a face to face interview to all candidates who meet our requirements.
UAF Eco-Reps are a group of students in dorms who encourage their fellow students to make more sustainable choices. The program is open to all students. Eco-Reps lead programs in dorms, such as recycling challenges, power-down campaigns for breaks, an energy challenge, and educational opportunities such as sustainable movie nights, dorm tabling, joint presentations on sustainability with RAs. Eco-Reps are trained through team meetings and experiential activities to become sustainability leaders in their residence halls.
As an Eco-Rep, you will gain the knowledge and skills to successfully communicate sustainability to your peers. Our goal is to increase overall student awareness of effective actions that encourage stewardship and lead to lasting change on campus that benefits the campus community now and into the future.
Typical qualifications of a successful Eco-Rep include:
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of means with diverse groups
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to see projects through to completion
- Time management skills
- Desire to contribute to a happier and healthier UAF
- Enthusiasm and creativity
The ideal Eco-Rep candidate is not necessarily the one with the most knowledge about the environment. We look for people with strong leadership and communication skills who are enthusiastic about learning about and promoting sustainable living. If you are reliable, good-natured, and excited to be a sustainability advocate in your residence hall, we want you!
Essential Responsibilities & Requirements
- Engange peers on issues of resource conservation and behavior change
- Work closely with program partners to identify, implement, and act as a liaison on projects (such as recycling, composting, water reduction, energy conservation, etc.)
- Attend biweekly Eco-Reps meetings, as well as additional training opportunities
- Develop creative outreach materials (posters, emails, bulletin boards, social media, films, etc.)
- Be available to work 1-2 hours per week on the Eco-Reps program.
All passionate students are highly encouraged to apply, but students should seriously consider their dedication to the position before accepting. Academics are always a priority, but managing time between Eco-Reps and other major commitments can be difficult.
Please complete the online application. Staff will review applications and offer a phone interview to all candidates who meet our requirements.