Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
What is VITA?
Great Alaska Accounting People (GAAP) provides free income tax assistance, preparation and electronic filing as part of the IRS Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA). Learn more on the IRS website.
We cannot prepare returns for: pension earners, military, Capital gains from sale of stock or other assets, annuities, IRA distributions, social security, rental or farm income, health savings account deduction, general business credit, household employment taxes, Alternative Minimum Tax, or self-employed taxpayers who don’t fit Sch C-EZ.
When is VITA?
VITA meets from 10am-2pm outside of Schaible Auditorium in the Bunnell Building on the following dates (view SOM calendar):
- March 23
- March 30
- April 6
- April 13
What do I need?
Bring all relevant tax documents including:
- W-2s, 1099s, and other tax documents for income and deductions
- Documentation to substantiate education expenses
- Social Security Cards for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents
- Picture ID for taxpayer and spouse
- Account information for direct deposit/payment (on personal check)
- If filing jointly, both you and your spouse must be present.
Who should I contact with questions?
For more information, please contact Liz Downes, VITA Coordinator at email@example.com or (907) 474-7121.