Words of Wisdom
Student to Student Top Tips for Success
- Plan your schoolwork in advance to ensure you aren’t overloaded all at once.
- No need to be a “rocket scientist” when it comes to organizing school and classes. Get the University of Alaska Fairbanks app to keep up to date on all your classes. Check out these two apps via Google or iTunes. Additional information can be found online at UAF’s Office of Information Technology.
- For prior military students, the HSEM program accepts a large number of military training transfer credits that will reduce the amount of time it takes you to get a degree. By doing this, your GI Bill benefits will be maximized.
- Besides professors, seek outside help to gain different perspectives.
- If taking an eLearning course, do not fall behind. Work ahead as much as possible.
- Keep all your HSEM textbooks. These books can help provide you a foundation of knowledge and help you study for other related courses. Another bonus: By referencing these books in other courses, you may gain your instructor's attention (aka “extra credit”)!
- Maximize your education’s value. Take on what you can handle, and plan to do well in those things
- Being prepared starts with you and me! September is National Preparedness month. Do you have an emergency kit and a family/pet emergency plan in case of disaster? Have the right gear in your vehicle during winter just in case. You’ll be glad you did!
- Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification. This is your future career. You’ll only get out of your education what you are willing to put into it.