Professor of Horticulture
B.S., 1979, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
M.S., 1984, Michigan State University
PhD, 1987, Michigan State University
NRM210 - Sustainable Agriculture
NRM106 - Orientation to Natural Resources Management
NRM211 - Applied Plant Science
NRM212 – Greenhouse Management
- Greenhouse-, high tunnel- and controlled environment crop production
- Plant growth in response to light intensity, quality, day length and the use of light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
- Energy efficient production techniques in greenhouse- and season extension environments
- Crop growth, development and productivity under large high latitude seasonal variations in temperatures, light levels and day lengths
- Development of guidelines to optimize vegetable, small fruit and floral crop production
- Environmental plant physiology as it applies to commercial horticulture at high latitudes
Current research programs:
- Alaska high tunnel, greenhouse and controlled environment production (USDA-Hatch, 2013-2017)
- Controlled environment horticulture for Alaska (USDA-Hatch, 2007-2013)
- Develop and integrate components for commercial greenhouses (NE-1035 multi-state project, 08-13)
- Controlled environment use and technology (NCERA-101 multi-state project, 2011-2016)
- Resource management in commercial greenhouses (NE-1335 multi-state project, 2013-2018)
Examples of publications:
- Karlsson, M. 2014. Grafted vegetable transplants for earliness and productivity during northern field seasons. HortScience 49(9):S287.
- Karlsson, M. 2014. Controlling the greenhouse environment. University of Alaska Fairbanks, School of Natural Resources and Extension, Cooperative Extension Service HGA-00336.
- Karlsson, M. and J. Dawe. 2014. What are the implications of your research? Starting the Broader Impacts conversation in Alaska. Agroborealis 44:46-47.
- NRM 692. 2013. Broader Impacts. What potential does your work have to make our world better? AFES Miscellaneous Publication MP 2013-07.
- Karlsson, M. and C. Willingham. 2013. Field performance of transplants using light emitting diodes. HortScience 48(9):S41.
- Karlsson, M. 2012. Using light emitting diodes for early development of flowering plants. HortScience 47(9):S336.
- Karlsson, M. and J. Werner. 2011. High tunnel covering materials for northern field production. International Society of Horticultural Science. Acta Horticulturae 893:1333-1339.
- Werner, J., Y. Okada and M. Karlsson. 2011. Using light emitting diodes in high latitude greenhouse production Acta Horticulturae 907:287-290.
- Calhoun, K. and M. Karlsson. 2011. Growing apples in interior Alaska, suitable varieties for cold climates. Cooperative Extension Service, Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks, HGA-00043.
- Neely, H.L., R.T. Koenig, C.A. Miles, T.C. Koenig, and M.G. Karlsson. 2010. Diurnal fluctuation in nitrate concentration of field-grown leafy greens at two latitudes. HortScience 45:1815-1818.
- Karlsson, M. and J. Werner. 2009. Hydroponic greenhouse lettuce production in subarctic conditions using geothermal heat and power. Acta Horticulturae 843:275-281.
- Karlsson, M. and J. Werner. 2009. Snap bean yield and photosynthesis during twilight extended field conditions. HortScience 44:1127.
- Hanks, C., G. Holdmann, A. Byrd, D. Witmer, M. Karlsson, D. Pride, V. Fay, M. Stuefer, R. Ganguli and P. Metz. 2009. Assessment of CO2 sequestration options and other environmental impacts related to the proposed coal-to-liquids facility at Eielson Air Force Base. Prepared for the U.S. Air Force by the Geophysical Institute and the Alaska Center for Energy and Power, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Karlsson, M. and J. Werner. 2008. Early day length sensitivity in sunflower. HortScience 43:1261-1262.
- Karlsson, M. and J. Werner. 2008. Modified field environments for high latitude crop production, p. 64. International Meeting on Controlled Environment Agriculture. Cocoa Beach, Florida.
- Palestro, J., B. Nilsson, J. Frank, M. Karlsson, R. Moe, A. Pehkonen, C.J. Westman, D-L. Wulfsohn, A. Torgersen Daae, O. Frykman, I. Christiansen, J. Öhlund, V. Shahedi and M. Zanzi. 2007. Utvärdering av skogliga, trädgårdsvetenskapliga och teknologiska utbildningar samt utbildning till djursjukvårdare vid Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet år 2006. Högskoleverkets rapportserie 2007:II R, Högskoleverket (Swedish National Agency for Higher Education), Stockholm, Sweden.
- Rader, H.B. and M.G. Karlsson. 2006. Northern field production of leaf and romaine lettuce using a high tunnel. HortTechnology 16:649-654.
- Karlsson, M. 2006. Greenhouse tomato production for Alaska. Agroborealis 38(1):28-30.
- Leiner, R., H. Geier and M. Karlsson. 2006. Restaurant interviews to determine demand for baby greens in Alaska. AFES Miscell. Public. 2006-02. Ag. and Forestry Expt Station, Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Karlsson, M. and J. Werner. 2005. Lettuce transplants growth in response to media surface color. International Society of Horticultural Science. Acta Horticulturae 711:139-143.
- Karlsson, M. and J. Werner. 2005. Daylength effects on container crops. Greenhouse Product News 15:38-40.